Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Why do we have to pay Avid to stop being mediocre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoize View Post
- When you buy an analog box, that's a lifetime purchase. No one will need to "update" a hardware EQ or compressor, so you pay for gear that will always be reliable and working the same way.
Totally.

Quote:
- When you buy a digital system, you are usually granted at least a couple years (probably lifetime) of firmware updates.
- When you buy software, you are usually granted at least a couple years of software updates.
You will be granted at least a couple years of PT9 support, and they've guaranteed -- what was it -- 3 years? 5 years? Some very generous amount of HD10 TDM support. That may not seem like much to you, but considering how old these chips are and the rate at which technology advances, that's pretty unprecedented. It's certainly longer than Apple supported PPC machines.

I realize that choosing not to update is not as simple as people like to suggest. As third party companies begin dropping support, it gets much trickier. You'd have to commit that computer to audio only (not exactly a crazy or new concept), and never update the OS beyond whatever version was the latest supported.

But it might be worth it, for that "classic Pro Tools HD10 sound."
Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfo View Post
You will be granted at least a couple years of PT9 support
No, I'm not. "Support" by definition means treating your software as if it's the newest version, and ALL the team efforts are going towards updating that software.
Since Pro Tools 10 is out, they'll give "pity updates" to PT 9 people, but obviously 10 is the main center of attention now! That equates to less than a year of support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfo View Post
I realize that choosing not to update is not as simple as people like to suggest. As third party companies begin dropping support, it gets much trickier. You'd have to commit that computer to audio only (not exactly a crazy or new concept), and never update the OS beyond whatever version was the latest supported.

But it might be worth it, for that "classic Pro Tools HD10 sound."
It's not worth it. And not updating an OS is pretty easy in comparison! Choosing not to update a software like Pro Tools is a double edge sword, mainly because the company is now putting most of their effort into the new awesome super features of Pro Tools 10 - when you just paid full price, less than a year ago, for a "CURRENT" DAW that's supposed to compete with all other DAWs in the market.

Now everyone who bought Logic, DP, Reaper or Cubase at the same time I bought Pro Tools 9 are going to be using the very latest version of their software for at least the next year. But not me! I'm already outdated.

Why would Avid think they are allowed to put their customers in that situation? Why do they think they deserve a special treatment and a special understanding of their flawed business practices?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Less than a year ago, I paid $250 for a crossgrade to Pro Tools 9. Despite the features still lacking, I was confident that money was well spent because Avid was changing their business model and updating their software for good, into a clean, new version, with seamless updates and support for years to come!

Boy, was I dumb!
Now there's a Pro Tools 10 and I'm stuck again with the "old" version, unless I pay $300 in addition.

I think Avid got it all wrong. Just because you suddenly decided to re-update your software after 1 year, doesn't mean you can demand another $300. Maybe to professional studios ordering hardware and software in bulk - but not to home users. Your update work isn't worth this much.

You always claimed in several interviews to follow Apple's business model, from the very beginning. Well, Apple charges $30 for an OS update with a lot more updates and development work put into it. Pro Tools 10 should have been 9.1, unless you're going to charge $30, not $300.

I'm so outraged with all this. Avid, you suck! EVERYONE WHO BOUGHT PRO TOOLS 9 DESERVES A FREE UPDATE TO 10. STOP BEING GREEDY, YOU ALREADY ARE THE INDUSTRY STANDARD AND YOU MAKE THE MOST MONEY OUT OF ALL DAW BRANDS.
I agree but at the end of the day its your money and you can decide to spend it somewhere else like logic or ableton etc although it won't make much difference because its apples or oranges. Its all about maximum profits for the shareholders and nothing about customer loyalty or service. It sux but unfortunately thats how it is.
Ive said it before - avid customer service is next to zilch. Its atrocious. Try figuring out how to contact them. The links just take you round in endless circles. Its insulting and infuriating. I apparently get some limited support for the expansion pack but do you think I can figure out how to use it??
We are just the minions. But Ill tell you what I don't care a sh*t if pro tools is the industry standard. Standard Schmandard. If things don't improve Ill just try a different programme. Im glad I only got the student version as its not a great loss. If I spent a lot more I would be livid.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
It's ridiculous that we're all stuck with a horrible DAW
This is the funniest thing I've read online today. PT is a "horrible DAW"? Really?

lol
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
This is the funniest thing I've read online today. PT is a "horrible DAW"? Really?

lol
Yeah well it might be funny to you because you're a big shot grammy award winning engineer apparently (not that Ive ever heard of you). But for those of us with smaller egos and wallets who can't afford the high end version its more than horrible its a f*cking abomination.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
Yeah well it might be funny to you because you're a big shot grammy award winning engineer apparently (not that Ive ever heard of you). But for those of us with smaller egos and wallets who can't afford the high end version its more than horrible its a f*cking abomination.
Then why not go use something else? You obviously can't tell a winner if it served coffee to you, so perhaps go use "MR PRO STUDIO" or something lol

TH
Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
This is what I don't understand (and I realize this has been said thousands of times and I'm not intending to lead to that tired old debate) -- why on earth did you buy a "horrible DAW" that was a "f*cking abomination?" Was the marketing just that good?

In many cases, you can recoup most of your expense if you sell your rig, and you should at least be able to cover the cost of another DAW that you won't hate using so much. You have the power!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Dude,

If Protools was really a "horrible DAW" no one would use it, right? And no one is "stuck" with it. If ProTools is so awful, go use something else and quit whining! Sheesh!

I run ProTools every day on a laptop, IMac and MacPro. It is by no stretch of the imagination a "horrible DAW" Sure, it's not perfect, but it's the industry standard for a reason.

Now go record some music for heavens sake!

Peace,
Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I think Avid got it all wrong. Just because you suddenly decided to re-update your software after 1 year, doesn't mean you can demand another $300. Maybe to professional studios ordering hardware and software in bulk - but not to home users. Your update work isn't worth this much.
In this same train of thought, we should all get brand new Macbook Pros every year they come out with a newer model.

New product, new price tag. Deal with it. If you don't want to pay for the upgrade, stick with 9.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasteveo View Post
In this same train of thought, we should all get brand new Macbook Pros every year they come out with a newer model.

New product, new price tag. Deal with it. If you don't want to pay for the upgrade, stick with 9.
Yup. +1