Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2010, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Digi, Not the features, just the fixes for ppc users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart P. View Post
No. However I am just a little puzzled by your rather unsympathetic comments in this thread. You have every right to be a part of this conversation, and your expertise regularly makes this site a better place. But as someone who really doesn't have a personal financial stake in the outcome in this specific situation, it strikes me as odd that you have made barbed comments towards those that do.
... For the record, Sean, I really do appreciate your many contributions to the DUC. Very much so, in fact.
Best,
Stuart
Great post Stuart.

I had similar feelings come up from Sean's postured post but did not really want to jump in til now that I see that I wasn't the only one a bit alarmed by some of the statements you've already multi quoted.

It takes a certain type of person with a certain type of faith to step out and invest in one's self and one's own business and if one can do that without struggle as I have done for 23 years that proves I made the right choice for my 2nd career after my rock drumming career in '86. I believe that I am a success and always have been and will continue to be because I confidently realize that I'm selling me and my gifts not my gear. My gear is just my tool kit.

OPINION:
PT8.0.1 for PPC is what most industries would consider a "recall" item not ready for Prime Time.

I admire Sean for being able to seemingly hold a job and take responsibility for someone else's investment. He's passionate and proud of this. That's cool for some people. He talks about that job alot in here. In this thread it almost gets nausiating. I hope he has a back up plan in case that job disappears and that can happen fast in this industry and many others in "these times." I really do.

But myself I can't even imagine myself working for someone else.....
(my clients included ha ha ha).

When you have your own hand's on sweat and bread invested....it's a whole nuther reality and with that comes with the justified entitlement a level of righteousness to complain and demand service and support in a way that's more powerful that that of a mere employee of a commercial shop. There is no debate necessary on this from the shop-owner's position unless he chooses to waste his valuable time engaging in futility and postured off-topic focus from the true issue at hand.

That said....
I also welcome and value Sean's tech support and experience in here.

I imagine most of us do all of what he does and sign the checks as well.

I realize my choice of words may come across as gregarious--
not the intention here--
i'm actually only trying to match the gregarity i felt i saw to respond to it in kind.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM

There really hasn't been anything new from anybody since 2003 other than just cheaper products approaching the same capability facilitated by the vastly more powerful Intel CPUs.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Then what about the newer features?

Not a big deal to me but don't we have a right to get all the "free" updates.

We paid for them.

By paying for 8.0, don't we deserve to get everything that was coming with it?

+1 to that. Paying for the 8.x software gave me a reasonable expectation of receiving bug fixes and updates for the system upon which the platform was delivered (PPC).

Of course it's pointless to make these arguments about our "rights". The Pro Tools 8 EULA I never bothered to read no doubt states that I have fewer rights than a citizen of North Korea. Nevertheless, it's wrong to leave a large installed user base flapping in the wind with unstable software on a platform which we reasonably expected to be supported throughout at least the first generation of the release (up to 8.1).

I rest my entire case for receiving, at a minimum, all the bug fixes for PT 8 on the PPC platform, upon the principles Avid affirmed to us exhaustively over the last year:

"We are listening", and "The customer is always right".

Bryan Golder
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Golder View Post
Paying for the 8.x software gave me a reasonable expectation of receiving bug fixes and updates for the system upon which the platform was delivered (PPC).

...it's wrong to leave a large installed user base flapping in the wind with unstable software on a platform which we reasonably expected to be supported throughout at least the first generation of the release (up to 8.1).

I rest my entire case for receiving, at a minimum, all the bug fixes for PT 8 on the PPC platform, upon the principles Avid affirmed to us exhaustively over the last year:

"We are listening", and "The customer is always right".

Bryan Golder
this kind of language needs to be asked at NAMM by all of likemindedness.

look our providers straight in the eye and listen to the answers and report back.

suggestion:

Take an AVID employee to a decent lunch.

Show him/her some love...ask questions....listen to the answers.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
this kind of language needs to be asked at NAMM by all of likemindedness.

look our providers straight in the eye and listen to the answers and report back.

suggestion:

Take an AVID employee to a decent lunch.

Show him/her some love...ask questions....listen to the answers.
So a 10.00 NAMM-burger, or lunch at the Hilton is going to get an employee to tell us their plans and "secrets". I would not be that naive. A DUC "sage" and i spent an hour with scott church last year discussing the then new GUI, and look how that has turned out. For me it is that I have simply gotten used to the PT8 GUI, and now like it. Scott Church is gone, and very little has changed in the GUI.
Now, 6 shots of tequila at the marriot bar might be a little more effective.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
So a 10.00 NAMM-burger, or lunch at the Hilton is going to get an employee to tell us their plans and "secrets". I would not be that naive. A DUC "sage" and i spent an hour with scott church last year discussing the then new GUI, and look how that has turned out. For me it is that I have simply gotten used to the PT8 GUI, and now like it. Scott Church is gone, and very little has changed in the GUI.
Now, 6 shots of tequila at the marriot bar might be a little more effective.

i'm not naive

i'm just sayin'

look how humorously creative one has to get to just think the fantasy of getting to some hope of a vision down the line of some functional resolve
to issues so many of us have protested about.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 AM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253266

To all those posters who think that 8.01 has no show stoppers, read linked post. This would be criminal to leave in a PT version. This is a serious issue
for anyone who does MIDI stuff. This has not even been fixed in 8.03 yet. What makes this more of a joke is the fact that PT8 was touted as the big step forward
for MIDI/Composers etc. The major change apart from the GUI was the Midi Editor and the new VIs. This bug renders the MIDI editor and VI's virtually useless in a lot of
cases. One step forwards and two steps back.

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post

OPINION:
PT8.0.1 for PPC is what most industries would consider a "recall" item not ready for Prime Time.

I admire Sean for being able to seemingly hold a job and take responsibility for someone else's investment. He's passionate and proud of this. That's cool for some people. He talks about that job alot in here. In this thread it almost gets nausiating. I hope he has a back up plan in case that job disappears and that can happen fast in this industry and many others in "these times." I really do.
But myself I can't even imagine myself working for someone else.....
(my clients included ha ha ha).

I realize my choice of words may come across as gregarious--
not the intention here--
i'm actually only trying to match the gregarity i felt i saw to respond to it in kind.
(sigh). The Pettiness is so off topic from PPC'ers getting fixes!

1. I'm sure there will be 'cs' updates for 8.0.1. 'CS' stands for

... wait for it ...

CUSTOMER SERVICE updates! Just because it's been 1 1/2 months since 8.0.1 cs1 came out doesn't mean PPC's are finished.

2. Don't 'worry' about me. I'm a freelancer - and I make my own way. I'm not 'seemingly' employed - I'm self-employed, and do alright. As long as we're recording with PT I'll have a job wherever I decide to go. Yes, a lot of my time is spent at one facility. But I book other studios, and one of the big questions when I do is now 'Do you have PT8' ?

---> Who knows, I could be BOOKING YOUR ROOM at some point! ---

3. Gregarious doesn't mean what you think it means, and 'gregarity' isn't a word. FYI.

4. Nauseating is how many times you've typed the words 'pink elephant' on this forum in the last year, bemoaning feature sets you yourself refuse to use - I have been trying to provide perspective to direct questions about myself, and passion is a part of the package. Call it God-given, if you like. You're still at the 'Look and Feel' thread.

5. The thread shouldn't be about me or anyone in particular - it's whether or not 'fixes' can be given to PPC people as they have paid for it. And they have paid for it. And the fixes are not coming, so far. (But we're almost at page 18 - and that means Digi/AVID HAS to pay attention now, right?)

6. BTW, you DO work for your clients. You wouldn't get paid from them if you didn't. The universe brings them to you for you to serve. If they didn't, then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on with Digi/AVID claiming 'I'm your customer - make this right!' - they could tell you to get stuffed 'cause they don't work for their clients !! (?? How does that even make sense??)

To quote Marcellus Wallace, 'That's PRIDE f*cking with ya.'

As to reality:

in this document There are 75+ fixes on the new 8.0.3, and as Kenny as has said, they got ONE of the top TWENTY with the Tool-Lockout thing (and that doesn't justify the money to upgrade). So the 'fixes' as I see them are mostly benign. Some of you may use Destructive Punch. Some of you may use Satellite. Some of you may be jumping at the ProControl-Matrix fix. I do not. That doesn't keep me from working, or making a better record.

So, please answer me this:

At what point do you say 'This system has gone as far as it can go; do I need the new workflow/features to continue into the future with PT8, or do I stay here at 7.4/8.0.1cs1 ? 5 years? 10 years?

Can anyone answer that?

I run 10 year old systems all the time - they do great! But I don't expect them to suddenly be blessed with EA or new key commands. And I don't expect YouTube to run smoothly on them.

Because, AGAIN, I don't see any show-stoppers, deal-breakers, or anything that really keeps me from working in 8. Sorry. Yes, there are problems. No, I don't think PPC's will ever work totally right on them. It's sad, but these are 5+ year old machines, and 7.4 works really well on them. I can make a good record in 7.4, too.

But the real question: DOES IT AFFECT THE CHORUS????
Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253266

To all those posters who think that 8.01 has no show stoppers, read linked post. This would be criminal to leave in a PT version. This is a serious issue
for anyone who does MIDI stuff. This has not even been fixed in 8.03 yet. What makes this more of a joke is the fact that PT8 was touted as the big step forward
for MIDI/Composers etc. The major change apart from the GUI was the Midi Editor and the new VIs. This bug renders the MIDI editor and VI's virtually useless in a lot of
cases. One step forwards and two steps back.

ADC has had problems since well before 8 - and they know it.

Still isn't a show stopper when your MIDI is 10 samples off.

Come on!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
ADC has had problems since well before 8 - and they know it.

Still isn't a show stopper when your MIDI is 10 samples off.

Come on!
Sean

I expect a slightly more educated response from you than that.

Read the post please!!!, this is not talking about 10 samples or anything like it. If it was I wouldn't be posting this. Where did you get that from ? Basically if you have a High ADC count in your session (who doesn't these days) Trying to record MIDI is impossible, we are talking 1000nds of samples out, even Digi themselves admit this is serious. This is going to be addressed in in a future cs release according to Digi, the issue being will it be for 8.01 aswell as 8.03.

I can tell you if you Audio only people experienced the offset we do when recording MIDI, in this scenario then you would be storming DIGI headquarters.

Read the post properly please, this is a showstopper for people who use MIDI, maybe not you personally but certainly for me and many other users.

I feel your frustration with sj etc but this is a real issue and not a pink elephant type rant

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native