Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 11:22 PM

Default I\'m thinking of ditching my PC

I am interested in upgrading my recording system, and I would like to know the appropriate steps I need to take and get some questions answered.

First of all, here’s what I’m currently using:
-- Compaq Presario 5000T computer with 384MB of RAM
-- Pro Tools LE 5.1 with Digi 001 hardware

What I would like to do is get a Mac (probably a G4 desktop, since from what I gather Digi 001 is not yet compatible with G5s). And, obviously, I would need to upgrade to Pro Tools LE 6.1.

Here are some questions I have about this upgrade:
-- Is the Digi 001 hardware I have fully supported by a Mac? Would I need to make any changes/upgrades in regards to that hardware?
-- I know I need to upgrade from PTLE 5.1 to 6.1; does the upgrade CD contain both PC and Mac versions of the software? (I ask this just in case I stick with a PC running WinXP)
-- I read something about Macs not supporting floppy disk authorization. Does the PTLE 6.1 software come with D-Verb, and what would I need to do about authorizing that plug-in?
-- Does the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card support Pro Tools?
-- Is a single 1.25Ghz drive really enough to power 32 audio tracks, a number of which will have plug-ins? I’m open to suggestions on the best Mac I can get for under $2000 (excluding a monitor).
-- Are there any other things I should be aware of in executing this upgrade?
Old 09-23-2003, 12:03 AM

Default Re: I\'m thinking of ditching my PC

Yes. No need to upgrade the hardware. just get a new PTLe 6.0.1 from your dealer. install the PTLE MAc OSX version 6.0.1.

Yes. The software upgrade is for MAC and Win XP on separate disks.

PTle uses ilok to authorize old floppy based plug-ins. ilok sold separately though.

ATI Radeon 9000. Yes.

Get the dual 1.25 gHZ G4. It is just super! Add Ram and record to a separate drive.
G5 is out of the question. I believe for now that this mac is the best value for its awesome power. $1599 from the apple store. I got mine from Jand R here in NYC for a little less.

Get O'reilly's book... MAC oSX manual.

Take the plunge. Welcome.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:45 AM

When you say record to a separate drive, do you mean an external hard drive? Why wouldn't I just record to the Mac's regular hard drive? I would not be using this computer for anything other than recording.

Thanks for all the answers, by the way.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Get the dual 1.25 gHZ G4. It is just super!
I second that!!

Quote:
When you say record to a separate drive, do you mean an external hard drive? Why wouldn't I just record to the Mac's regular hard drive? I would not be using this computer for anything other than recording.

Thanks for all the answers, by the way.
This is what Digidesign recommends for best performance on all LE or TDM/HD based systems. Mac or PC.

Copied and pasted from the PT reference guide:
Quote:
Although Pro Tools will let you record to
your system drive, this is generally not recommended.
You should record to system
drives only when necessary—for example, if
your computer system has just one hard
drive, or it your other hard drives are completely
out of space.

dk
-------------------
Dual 1.25GHz FW800 / 512MB ram
OS10.2.8
PTLE 6.1.1 - DIGI 001
100GB OWC Firewire (Oxford 911) Audio HD
DigTranslator 2
McDSP Analog Channel
Waves Native Power Pack - v4
Old 09-23-2003, 07:43 AM

Quote:
What I would like to do is get a Mac (probably a G4 desktop, since from what I gather Digi 001 is not yet compatible with G5s). And, obviously, I would need to upgrade to Pro Tools LE 6.1.
G-5's will not run the 001 due to incompatibilities with pci card. You do not need to upgrade to PT6 provided you get a Mac that is dual boot and will run OS9.

Quote:
Is the Digi 001 hardware I have fully supported by a Mac? Would I need to make any changes/upgrades in regards to that hardware?
Yes, any G-4 will run the 001, you'll need to make not changes or buy anything additional to use the 001.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I know I need to upgrade from PTLE 5.1 to 6.1; does the upgrade CD contain both PC and Mac versions of the software? (I ask this just in case I stick with a PC running WinXP)
You were misinformed. You do not need to upgrade to PT6 to run on a Mac, provided (as previously stated) you get a machine that is OS9 compatible)

Quote:
I read something about Macs not supporting floppy disk authorization. Does the PTLE 6.1 software come with D-Verb, and what would I need to do about authorizing that plug-in?
Macs do not come with a floppy drive, but if you absolutely must have one, you can get one for around $25-50 that connects via USB.

Quote:
Does the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card support Pro Tools?
Sorry, can't answer this one...

Quote:
Is a single 1.25Ghz drive really enough to power 32 audio tracks, a number of which will have plug-ins? I’m open to suggestions on the best Mac I can get for under $2000 (excluding a monitor).
Davec results on various Macs

FWIW, we run a dual 1Ghz G-4 Quicksilver, and have no problems running 32 tracks of audio with a respectable amount of plugins. Since we are running PT5.2.1 on OS9, the second processor is not a factor...PT5.2.1 only uses one of them. You shoul d have no problems on a single 1.25ghz machine, however, I'd recommend getting a dual processor. Eventually you'll want to upgrade to OSX.

Quote:
Are there any other things I should be aware of in executing this upgrade?
A copy of the latest version of The Mac Bible will provide you with the msot insight on any mac. This hefty (well over 1000 pages) reference book will give you info on everything you mac does and says, troubleshooting, tweaking tips, and is well worth the cost, around $50 I think.

A second drive internally on a G-4 is a snap, and Apple provides online instructions for installation.

Most G-4's can actually have 3 internal HDD before you need to add add'l hardware. (the third drive installs under the CD/DVD drive) All G-4's have firewire, so connecting or using a firewire drive is also a simple process. Macs can read a PC formatted drive without any additional software, it's simply a desing in the OS.

FWIW, our G-4 has 3 internal drives, 1-80gb system drive, partitioned 5gb(OS9)5gb(OSX)70gb(storage) and 2-120gb drives for audio, all WD Caviars. We also use two Firedocks for additional storage and archiving, as well as recording and editing sessions.

I'd highly recommend a model with a superdrive. The ability to burn DVD format is very useful for archiving projects.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:17 PM

Does anyone know how long it might be before PT is compatible with the G5?

If it would be relatively soon (say, in the next six to nine months), I'd prefer to wait and just get a G5. That way, I'd have the top-of-the line computer.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:35 PM

While not officially authorized, some have gotten the 002 running on G-5's. However, the G-5 is very new technology, high priced, and for PTle, a good dual processor G-4 will leet you take the application to the max now. they are proven stable and reliable. IMHO you're better off with a good G-4 for quite awhile yet.

I doubt if the G-5 will ever run the 001, as it's on msot likely on it's way out, being replaced by the 002R.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:19 PM

The 001 will never run on the G5, it doesn't even fit in the slots. Check digi's compat page.