Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 AM

Default Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Hi All,

This is a little enlightening on what to expect from Avid with Pro Tools.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...tures-and-more
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
Hi All,

This is a little enlightening on what to expect from Avid with Pro Tools.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...tures-and-more
His opening line "Things are good"? What a laugh, freakin' ridiculous.
The only thing they are committed to is keeping their ivory towers fortified.
I tried the update and support plan for 15 months (3 licences), turned out to be a complete waste of money. I did not renew this year and I am stuck on PT10. Most companies I deal with I respect and am happy to pay them for their products, Avid not so much...

Last edited by bcwiz; 05-20-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
His opening line "Things are good"? What a laugh, freakin' ridiculous.
The only thing they are committed to is keeping their ivory towers fortified.
I tried there update and support plan for 15 months (3 licences), turned out to be a complete waste of money. I did not renew this year and I am stuck on PT10. Most companies I deal with I respect and am happy to pay them for their products, Avid not so much...
How are you only on PT10 is you have had their update and support plan for 15 months? You should be able to have at least 12.4.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 AM

Admittedly he does "Umm & Ahh" a lot as he 'carefully' answers the questions - we just have to wait and see.......I'm waiting until my subscription expires in October, so they have until then with me.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 AM

same dude who said bug fixes would be included w/o an active support plan.

now they aren't.

not saying that choice was up to him, and not saying he's dishonest.

but there's no guarantee that the good stuff he says is gonna hold true for any length of time.

somewhere up in the Avid chain there's a decision maker who's not afraid to contradict what's been publicly stated.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
How are you only on PT10 is you have had their update and support plan for 15 months? You should be able to have at least 12.4.
One of my rigs has a Pro Control which Avid in their greed saw fit to brick going forward with nothing to replace it (don't get me started about the S3). Tried PT11 on my remote rig and found it unreliable, actually able to record dropouts. Enough video engine problems and workflow changes that nobody here wanted to use it as well.
Tech support was less than useless.
Nothing much different in 12 and don't care at all about Avid cloud collab.
Offline bounce would be a great benefit so I might put together a PT12 rig for that, maybe.
Believe me I would like to move forward but Avid has made it impossible to justify giving them any more money.
In my opinion they have lost the plot and are swirling on the porcelain beach.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:08 AM

not worth the time to watch .. but thank you for posting .. there are scrambling with something up north .. whether it is loss of employee's and programmer changes .. just not efficient or elegant at all ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-19-2016, 10:12 AM

I am glad there is a 12.5.1 coming soon.

I dislike that releases are all being tied to money making new things rather than releasing Hot Fixes for issues along the way and then releasing whatever is new when its ready (and then may they make as much money as possible). 12.5.1 will be out shortly because the dock is shipping and it needs it - the Dock (IMO) is an exciting product at least.

If 12.5.1 solves enough problems in PT12 (including the El Cap ones) so that we can all just stay and work there this would be a great relief. This is a lot to hope for though...

Lastly - Pro Tools Expert eh? No webinar for the common man? No direct "let's talk to our customers approach"? I so wish AVID would hire one person to be a public face that actually talks to the users... HA.... LOL....
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
same dude who said bug fixes would be included w/o an active support plan.

now they aren't.

not saying that choice was up to him, and not saying he's dishonest.

but there's no guarantee that the good stuff he says is gonna hold true for any length of time.

somewhere up in the Avid chain there's a decision maker who's not afraid to contradict what's been publicly stated.
Same dude who said PT11 was written from the ground up. Not!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Same dude who said PT11 was written from the ground up. Not!
Did he say PT11 was written from the ground up or the audio engine was?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio