Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Moving to Reaper?

It's not quite fair to call it silence. They do speak. But everything anyone says on the company's behalf has to be cleared first, probably by a committee, more or less. A big ship just can't turn as fast as a small one. That's understandable.

PT still has a virtual lock on the pro studio scene. That will buy them a little time. Not a lot. If they started two or three years ago reprogramming PT from scratch using a current OOPs, PT might survive. But I'm not holding my breath. If they're still trying to build on the original code, forget it. The ship is going down.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM

I got all excited and installed reaper at home......and it didn't work properly.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
I got all excited and installed reaper at home......and it didn't work properly.
What didn't work?

Have you configured your I/O, soundsource, etc...?
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
What didn't work?

Have you configured your I/O, soundsource, etc...?
Sound is chopping, like a buffer problem, (but I think an i7 with an internal sata should be able to handle a stereo file.)

I'm guessing it has something to do with using the onboard sound card.

Worked fine on the laptop and work PC.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
Sound is chopping, like a buffer problem, (but I think an i7 with an internal sata should be able to handle a stereo file.)

I'm guessing it has something to do with using the onboard sound card.

Worked fine on the laptop and work PC.
One can have a 24 core with audio streaming directly from a RAM drive and still get choppy audio. The problem is the specific driver being used with the on board sound card. Increase the buffer or use a different type of driver.

...or just use the DigiASIO driver with your Digi hardware I/O.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 AM

The Reaper came for Protools.

Here lies ProTools
RIP
1991-2010

You won't be missed.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Eh. I've been exploring Reaper for a few days now and I'm not as impressed as I expected. Nearly everyone acknowledges that PT has the upper hand when it comes to editing. But I'm finding it also still has the edge when it comes to reliably yielding professional results. If PT can't make it sound right, it almost always stops and throws up a red flag. Reaper, like most other DAWs, will go ahead and play back, giving you crap sound if it can't do anything else. Not good. I have a huge preference for PT's get-it-right-or-shut-up approach.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Frankly, if you are counting on a DAW to create a sound for you, or "throw up a red flag" when you, as the user, makes a bad audio choice... you are expecting too much.
PT won't "make it sound right" any more than Cubase, REAPER or Sonar will.
Actually, I'm not sure I really understand your post. Are you faulting REAPER because it doesn't produce Digi error messages to prevent you from going ahead with a bad mix?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Eh. I've been exploring Reaper for a few days now and I'm not as impressed as I expected. Nearly everyone acknowledges that PT has the upper hand when it comes to editing. But I'm finding it also still has the edge when it comes to reliably yielding professional results. If PT can't make it sound right, it almost always stops and throws up a red flag. Reaper, like most other DAWs, will go ahead and play back, giving you crap sound if it can't do anything else. Not good. I have a huge preference for PT's get-it-right-or-shut-up approach.
well i can't speak for Reaper since i've 'barely' played with it...but what i will say is i've brought up this difference time and time again and at this point people either get it or they don't...or it doesn't matter. Shane and i have even discussed them offline in our conversations and i've even asked him to pose a couple of questions, for my own knowledge, to the cats at Cockos. and since i have a background in IT also, how streamed data is 'really' processed is very interestin' to me. all that to say is that i agree with your take. i LUV the fact that PTLE will b$tch IMMEDIATELY if the data cannot be handled properly. it doesn't POP...it STOPS!!! DAE errors can be your friend...actually!!! doesn't make PTLE easy but it does make it damn accurate...IMHO

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM

OK, lemme esplain. I put one track in PT, then I put the same track in Reaper and rewire it in. I flip polarity on the track in PT. They never completely cancel, sometimes they mostly cancel, sometimes they don't cancel at all, sometimes they change latency during playback. After 15 years of daily use, I know the problem isn't PT. It's the audio coming from Reaper that's not consistently coming through bit-for-bit.

Also, throw a few VIs into Reaper, and sometimes some of them just output staticky, bit-crushy junk. Sometimes they do fine, sometimes not. Not consistent. Not pro. I know PT 8.x has lots of horrible problems (which is why I'm still on 7.3), but despite all that, when it works, it's pro. Reaper is not yet pro. I hope it will be when it grows up. But it ain't yet.