Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 01:19 AM

Default Re: The owner has deleted shared project

Its not just me then? I had about twenty offline projects in Pro Tools first, lost them all eventually. Same thing happened the other day when I went off for twenty minutes to get some wine. Odd stuff happens all the time.

I am going away shortly for a few weeks where I was going to take a laptop with PTF on it but there will be no internet connection. Am I stuffed then? You have to sign on each time you start it so presumably I am? I could open a few projects while at home then save them as offline I guess but will PTF start without an internet connection?

Its a pity as Ive spent three months or so learning it as my first DAW but I am not about to invest money in something that is so unreliable, I am not convinced these problems will go away in a paid for version either.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryd View Post
Its not just me then? I had about twenty offline projects in Pro Tools first, lost them all eventually. Same thing happened the other day when I went off for twenty minutes to get some wine. Odd stuff happens all the time.

I am going away shortly for a few weeks where I was going to take a laptop with PTF on it but there will be no internet connection. Am I stuffed then? You have to sign on each time you start it so presumably I am? I could open a few projects while at home then save them as offline I guess but will PTF start without an internet connection?

Its a pity as Ive spent three months or so learning it as my first DAW but I am not about to invest money in something that is so unreliable, I am not convinced these problems will go away in a paid for version either.
You do not need an internet connection to work on local projects in PTF.

Please see the PTF FAQ for more information.

System Details
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post

Thanks for that. I got the impression you had to be online to sign in but ill give it a whirl before I go off travelling and see what happens.

This bit in your link is interesting.

"Note that Avid made "Backup To Cloud" optional for Projects in April 2019. Disabling this allows you to create an unlimited number of local Projects (previously only available to Pro Tools | First users that had an Avid Premium Cloud Plan)."

So we are not restricted to three projects at all which explains why I had about twenty offline at one point. Sadly all of them vanished in the same way as the OP had theirs go in this thread. It really would be useful to know how to get them back or when a fix might be available to sort it. For me its not the end of the world as I just record and play for fun but it could be devastating for some and may well put them off purchasing the full version.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post

On this subject, check out a recent video on YouTube channel, RecordingStudio9.com. The guy demonstrates the problem of Pro Tools First losing locally saved projects.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 02:34 PM

On this subject, please see a very recent video on YouTube channel, RecordingStudio9.com. The guy demonstrates Pro Tools First losing locally saved projects if internet connection is lost.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:25 PM

Is it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4x5a--e1qA If so he just seems to explain the problem but not a solution. He also says you cannot use PTF without an internet connection as that is what causes the projects to disappear.

Its quite possible that is what happened to me as I live out in the sticks and the internet connection is not great.

What I did discover the last time I Got the message saying all my projects were about to be deleted was that rather than clicking ok if I did a cntrl at and del, Task manager and just kill pro tools when I Went back in that project was still there. However when I went into it I couldnt edit it or play it. I restarted pro tools again and this time it let me back in.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Avid

Exclamation Re: The owner has deleted shared project

This has been escalated to Engineering for investigation. Avid CS will create cases for those reporting the problem in this thread.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Default Re: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project"

I have now created a video and demonstrated exactly how this big issue arises and what/how it happens.
I hope this video will help you to avoid the situation AND for AVID to (hopefully) see and fix it, otherwise, it will cause a lot of beginners trying out Pro Tools First to see if it's for them, will be VERY disappointed and move to another DAW.
My aim is to get AVID to fix the issue and I'm not trying to bad mouth AVID.
PT First being free, AVID has no support to submit this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqq5nqfL1M
Old 05-29-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Re: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project" - offline Projects lost

Just received 3 emails from Avid Support at the same time?

1st says thanks for contacting etc, but as it is free software, check out the forums etc, etc.
2nd email says please take a survey.
3rd email says: Your case number 03710664: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project *name*. It will now close and be removed from your account and all local computers." in Pro Tools First is now closed.

Huh?? Didn't know I'd submitted a case in the first place! The problem/bug hasn't even been addressed??

Thanks Avid!

Old 05-29-2019, 01:58 PM

Default Re: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project" - offline Projects lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesf42 View Post
Just received 3 emails from Avid Support at the same time?

1st says thanks for contacting etc, but as it is free software, check out the forums etc, etc.
2nd email says please take a survey.
3rd email says: Your case number 03710664: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project *name*. It will now close and be removed from your account and all local computers." in Pro Tools First is now closed.

Huh?? Didn't know I'd submitted a case in the first place! The problem/bug hasn't even been addressed??

Thanks Avid!

That all sounds a bit odd as three posts up customer services say they are investigating.

Yes its free but presumably the entire reason its free is to get people to upgrade eventually to the full product and / or buy their plugins. If I were them I would be putting a fair bit of resource into resolving this as a small bug is one thing but users losing potentially weeks or even months of work is really going to piss a lot of people off and it will very quickly get bad mouthed around the forums which is a shame as its great software. its been my first proper DAW after Audacity and quite a learning curve but if its not resolved Ill be switching to Reaper probably.