Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Default EZDrummer2 track cannot add notes

Hey everyone, I am very new to recording and editing with DAWs and this is my first post on this forum.

I have a session that I added an EZDrummer2 track and very happy with the results. But I need to add some snare hits. I opened the MIDI editor and added the notes but they don't play! In addition, none of the keys on the PT keyboard make any sound!

As a work around, I created a new Instrument track and used XPand! for the snare. I added the notes in the MIDI editor and it works fine. The MIDI keyboard also makes sound.

I'd rather use the EZDrummer snare instead of the XPand! snare but the EZDrummer track ignores my additions. I can't figure it out. Maybe since I'm a newbie but would appreciate some help! (I'm using PT 2018.7)
Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 PM

Default Re: EZDrummer2 track cannot add notes

Can't imagine why its not working, but I approach it a bit differently. Instead of opening the midi editor, I just expand the Instrument track(and do a vertical zoom on midi notes if they show too small). Set the track to NOTES view and single-click on the existing notes(so you can hear which note is which drum sound). The use the smart tool and double-click to drop notes on the piano roll. It will also help to prep midi properties by setting the note value to sixteenth notes and set the default velocity to whatever blends with what's there(I usually go about 105). If you add a lane below, it will default to show velocity so its easy to adjust after dropping notes. It may also be worthwhile to watch some tutorials on Pro Tools and midi(plenty of freebies on youtube and lots of great help on Groove 3, but its not free)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Thanks Dave! I'll see if your suggestion fixes my problem. I'll let you know.
-Bob
Old 08-12-2018, 09:10 PM

I did what you suggested and was able to add some snare hits to the existing EZD2 track! Thanks!

Before doing that, I decided I should save what I had and restart PT. I did the File|Save and then Exit. The Exit said that some changes weren't accepted in the cloud. I exited anyway and restarted PT. For some reason the EZD2 track and the two Xpand! tracks were gone. It wasn't a big deal because I had already saved the EZD2 stuff in EZDrummer. It is weird that PT won't accept changes in the cloud. I need to read more about that!