Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2023, 02:28 PM

Default Interface query

Hi all

I need change my audio interface but I've been advised that I have to pay for another set of pres and converters that I’m never going to use.
I would prefer to use my external preamp and Apogee Rosetta converter + Studio recording given I paid quite a lot for them. I am considering a cheaper Interface with no converter that has 8 Input & Output channels and In & Out spdif's connection. Something like the RME ( but good quality) with no A/D Converter or another option. Does anyone have a recommendation?

PC is a Mac m2 studio.

Thank you
Old 12-07-2023, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Interface query

So you want I/O without converters? That would be all-digital then. How would you monitor your digital signal? Active speakers with built-in D/A conversion?

Closest I can think of is Apogee Symphony mkII with 2x6 card, but it isn't cheap.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:22 PM

What exactly do you have? Rosetta 200? Rosetta 800? You say S/PDIF but how many channels of S/PDIF? You are talking about 8 channels of what? You mean ADAT? So what is the S/PDIF needed for? You mean S/PDIF outputs to drive digital monitors/monitor controller?

What exact preamps do you own?

All you need for this to work is the correct ADAT/SMUX or S/PDIF support. But you might well lower costs by buying a consumer focused interface that has support for the ADAT and/or S/PDIF you need--it will also have some line and/or preamp inputs. Many interfaces that just for example do S/PDIF or ADAT/SMUX are likely to be more expensive as they are aimed at higher-end professional use.

A nice options for ADAT only is the RME DigiFace: https://vintageking.com/rme-digiface-usb Not too expensive for RME and you can also pick them up used. And since the 200 and 800 both have ADAT why would that not work? What do you need the S/PDIF for?

Is that what you meant by "RME". RME is a brand not a product. You need to try to get a lot more clear/specific in everything you are writing. And most folks would not use "cheaper" and "RME" in the same sentence.

But... your Rosetta is not going to offer better conversion than that standard on any number of audio interfaces nowadays. And it might well be time to just sell it or keep as an expansion. Don't get suckered by the falicy of sunk costs.

There are no end of great interfaces from RME, UAD, Apogee, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus out there that you can look at online to get an idea of what is available. Or even better just call a knowledgeable dealer like Vintage King and talk to a sales rep.

And maybe roll back a bit... why do you need to change your audio interface? Lets make sure that is correct.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-07-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:26 PM

^ what he says. Inputs are not a problem, if you want to keep using your old A/D converters. Pick any interface that has ADAT and problem is solved.

But it is the outputs that count. Are you monitoring stereo, 5.1 or atmos? You need D/A conversion somewhere.