Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2024, 02:52 PM

Default Can't Update HD Native Card

I moved over to a M2 Studio Mac on Friday and am running my HD Native card in a Sonnet eGFX chassis and everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to open IO setup.

Whenever I try and open IO setup I get the spinning ball and then have to force quite Pro Tools. If I change my playback engine to the built in speaker I can open the IO setup fine but as soon as I switch over the HD native I can't access it without freezing Pro Tools.

I tried to run mu card through digi test on my Mac Studio and could get the app to open it just displayed an error message saying "Could not complete your request because cannot DigiDalDevice of dsiDeviceIndex = 0"

Last week I moved my Pro Tools Ultimate system over to a M2 Mac Studio Mac and have installed my HD Native PCIe card into a Sonnet eGFX Thunderbolt chassis. Pro Tools recognises the card and the card works however when I try and open my IO setup (running Pro Tools natively) Pro Tools freezes and I have to force quit. When Pro Tools is running under rosetta and I try and open IO setup Pro Tools just quits. If I change the playback engine to built in the IO setup opens with no problems.

When I tried to test my HD native card with digi test on the Mac Studio I got an error message saying "Could not complete your request because cannot DigiDalDevice of dsiDeviceIndex = 0"

I put the HD native card back into my old 5.1 MacPro and it tests fine in digitest there and shows FPGA version: 1.05.0 (0.02.0).

From what I've read that seems to be an old firmware version? So I downloaded Pro Tools 2023.3 to try and update the firmware on the HD Native card however using my 5.1 Mac but when I open Pro Tools it doesn't say I need to upgrade the firmware.

So I'm assuming the issues I'm having with my Mac Studio is due to the firmware being old but I can seem to update the firmware.....

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix?

Last edited by crazy_ow; 01-22-2024 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:48 PM
Avid

Default Re: Can't Update HD Native Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_ow View Post
I moved over to a M2 Studio Mac on Friday and am running my HD Native card in a Sonnet eGFX chassis and everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to open IO setup.

Whenever I try and open IO setup I get the spinning ball and then have to force quite Pro Tools. If I change my playback engine to the built in speaker I can open the IO setup fine but as soon as I switch over the HD native I can't access it without freezing Pro Tools.

I tried to run mu card through digi test on my Mac Studio and could get the app to open it just displayed an error message saying "Could not complete your request because cannot DigiDalDevice of dsiDeviceIndex = 0"

Last week I moved my Pro Tools Ultimate system over to a M2 Mac Studio Mac and have installed my HD Native PCIe card into a Sonnet eGFX Thunderbolt chassis. Pro Tools recognises the card and the card works however when I try and open my IO setup (running Pro Tools natively) Pro Tools freezes and I have to force quit. When Pro Tools is running under rosetta and I try and open IO setup Pro Tools just quits. If I change the playback engine to built in the IO setup opens with no problems.

When I tried to test my HD native card with digi test on the Mac Studio I got an error message saying "Could not complete your request because cannot DigiDalDevice of dsiDeviceIndex = 0"

I put the HD native card back into my old 5.1 MacPro and it tests fine in digitest there and shows FPGA version: 1.05.0 (0.02.0).

From what I've read that seems to be an old firmware version? So I downloaded Pro Tools 2023.3 to try and update the firmware on the HD Native card however using my 5.1 Mac but when I open Pro Tools it say I need to upgrade the firmware.

So I'm assuming the issues I'm having with my Mac Studio is due to the firmware being old but I can seem to update the firmware.....

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix?
What OS version are you running on?

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 01-22-2024, 12:56 AM

Mojave on the Intel Mac Pro and Sonoma on the Mac Studio.

I know Sonoma isn't supported yet but I'm stuck as that's what the Mac Studio shipped with, so have no choice but to go with that.

I put the card back onto the Mac Pro as thought I would be able to upgrade the firmware further there before putting it back into the sonnet chassis but PT just doesn't come up with the option to upgrade firmware.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_ow View Post
when I open Pro Tools it doesn't say I need to upgrade the firmware.
I just noticed in my original post I'd made an error and missed the doesn't.....
Old 01-22-2024, 05:23 AM

Are you absolutely positive you’re using the correct cable with the chassis and that it’s one of the TB3 models thrown here? Did you install the HD Driver?

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...-Compatibility

Update. I just realized you mentioned PT 2023.3 on your old Mac Pro. You need to be running 2023.12.1 on the Mac Studio.

Last edited by its2loud; 01-22-2024 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Are you absolutely positive you’re using the correct cable with the chassis and that it’s one of the TB3 models thrown here?

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...-Compatibility
I'm using a Sonnet eGFX GPU-550W-TB3 which is listed on the chart of supported chassis.

Quote:
Did you install the HD Driver?
I installed the Pro Tools 2023.12.1 and driver on the Mac studio and Pro Tools 2023.3 and HD driver on the MacPro.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:48 AM

And the cable?

This could just be a Sonoma issue with the HD Driver. Hard to know for sure.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
And the cable?
The TB3 cable that came with the chassis,

Quote:
AThis could just be a Sonoma issue with the HD Driver. Hard to know for sure.
Potentially but I know others have HD native and HDX card working with no issues on Sonoma and my card is showing as having old firmware, so really not sure why I'm not getting an update prompt on the 5.1 or Mac Studio, so want to rule that out first.

I also did get the IO setup open a few times before it started freezing.