Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2024, 12:14 PM

Default Avid Omni stand alone ADAT-to-analog possible?

I've had an Avid Omni for years as my main interface in a 5.1 surround setup. Time has come for me to move away from HD Native and get a USB interface. Still, I really like the idea of keeping the Omni and using it as a stand alone D-A converter via ADAT. Has anybody tried - is that possible? Would it be possible to configure it to pass ADAT in to 8 analog outs in stand alone mode? (When not connected to a HD Native card)

Thanks.
IMDB Credit List
Old 01-14-2024, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Avid Omni stand alone ADAT-to-analog possible?

Answered multiple times in the past on DUC... e.g. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378365

Google search is your friend.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:31 PM

Many thanks Darryl.

I did use search and I feel like I still don't have the definitive answer.

The thread you linked to is concerning analog-to-ADAT. I am looking for the opposite.
My main concern is whether using Omni in standalone mode can take 8 channels via ADAT input and send them to 8 individual analog outputs.
nst7 suggests that it would mix 8 digital inputs down to two analog out channels? Is it really so? Only stereo operation is possible?

Basically, can I get something like an RME Digiface USB and connect an Omni via ADAT to output 6 channels (5.1) from its analog outs.

Thank you.
IMDB Credit List
Old 01-14-2024, 01:44 PM

Oh sorry I misread your question, but that post still applies, exactly what nst7 says in that thread: you can do one way at a time only. So you can set up ADAT to 2 channel analog, and only 2 channel. You have the Omni so just try it out.