Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 AM

Default Local/Site Collaboration

First of all, I'd like to say that I do understand that this feature is an experiment and that Avid is still figuring out the business model. I'm an Audio Director at a Game Developer. There is no time in the foreseeable future that the publisher we work for will allow us to put their IP up on external servers. Avid has mentioned a similar issue with some of the big Hollywood Production companies.

I would personally be completely happy to pay Avid an additional fee on each of our annual PT subscriptions to be able to host our "cloud" locally on our network. The great thing about that is they wouldn't even have to incur any significant costs or overhead from Amazon to make money from it.

Also for administrative reasons we manage our PT licenses under one account. Currently there is no way to collaborate unless every PT user has there own avid account. This is not very practical in a corporate environment.

The features and workflow really have some strong potential, but the aforementioned issues will prevent us from ever being able to use it.

Any one else have similar issues with this new set of features??

Old 06-26-2016, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Local/Site Collaboration

I agree that Cloud Collaboration needs some time to build out, and I'm sure it will, but it also needs some time for people to get used to the idea of working in the cloud. And even at that, it is not for everyone. Do a search in the forums and you will find others that also want locally hosted storage for their own personal cloud, and it seems that Avid is looking into that. At the same time, I've heard of some major producers that are embracing the platform and are currently using it.

There have also been a few requests for a single account, and again, Avid has said that they are looking into it.

It seems that Avid is quite committed to the Cloud, so hang in there and post your thoughts on Idea Scale. The more people that want them, the more chance it has of becoming reality.

System Details