Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Default Re: C|24 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by curere View Post
I am interested in going to a Protools HD Native system with a Mac Pro, but I am not sure of the C24 as opposed to either the Tascam DM 4800 or 2 X Presonus studiolive 16 using the euphonix MC Mix and MC Control for transport and mapping etc. Further to that using Aurora 16 HD instead of PT Interfaces. I need 32 tracks about 20% of the time mainly 16 - 24 tracks 80% of the time simultaneously. Thoughts??
The C24 is NOT a mixer, so it can't be compared to the DM4800 or Presonus Studiolive mixers, it's just a completely different device. It's a priceless tool for people mixing ITB or using HW inserts, but not if your workflow requires a mixer. In that case the C24 won't work for you.

Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Default Re: C|24 Pros and Cons?

not thinking of it as a mixer.. but rather the control surface... but also functionality. Thats why i said with the presonus i am going to use euphonix.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
not thinking of it as a mixer.. but rather the control surface... but also functionality. Thats why i said with the presonus i am going to use euphonix.
OK, I got your point. So to get into some more details:

1) you said you want to go with HD Native and Auroras, 32 Channels max. This can be done with the standard PT9 / CPTK (which would get you the HD software features), no need for the HD Native. You'd need any good multichannel digital interface (RME HDSPe RayDat or AES or MADI) and matching converter box(es).

2) If I compare the C24 to the Tascam, Presonus regarding the DAW controller capabilities, it really isn't a fair comparison. The Tascam mixer has just a very simple HUI control layer and the Presonus StudioLive mixers don't have a DAW control capability at all (AFAIK).

3) The Artist Series controllers aren't bad, but they are small. While it might be completely sufficient for many people, I personally didn't like it ergonomically at all. If you need a very fast and efficient mixing workflow (with a client breathing on your neck), the C24 beats the Artist Series at any time. Heavy editing, however, is a domain of the MC Control, it would be faster on that, you still need to use quite a lot of keyboard when editing with C24. The build quality is a completely different level, but so is the price.

4) Despite the C24 is not a mixer, it has a lot of analog circuitry. It has 16 preamps (borrowed from the 003) and 8 stereo line input submixer, which can be useful for monitoring other studio sources (like the CD player, tape deck, etc.), or summing i.e. the effect returns. And there is also a VERY well equipped digitally-controlled 5.1 analog monitor section. Every function (Mono, Dim, Alt Speaker) has its own level trim and so has each individual speaker output. Two 5.1 inputs, two stereo inputs, can be switched or summed together at will. Built-in talkback mic with an option to use an external TB mic instead. Auto-talkback - when the PT transport is stopped, the talkback is automatically switched on. So to sum it up, it's a very good monitor section and comparable standalone units are very expensive.

Hope it helps. :)

Tom

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 AM

This really helps... So you think that PT9 would be sufficient for me, but you suggest going with the C24 as my control surface and then using high end converters with there own pci card so th e money saved there could be spent on the C24. Great advice. As I am talking through further, is the C24 able to work with Logic 9 as a control surface?

I do most of my composition in Logic 9 and then switch over to Pro Tools for the producing side of things.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
This really helps... So you think that PT9 would be sufficient for me, but you suggest going with the C24 as my control surface and then using high end converters with there own pci card so th e money saved there could be spent on the C24. Great advice.
Yes. In fact, the only significant difference between PT9 + CPTK and HD Native is the ability to have 64 channels of I/O. While the CPTK will give you all HD software features (minus TDM plugins, HEAT and near-zero latency monitoring, which are hardware-related), you can think of the HD Native card as just another multichannel sound card (with proprietary I/O in this case). The only thing the HD Native card will give you except for the double I/O count is the ability to connect the Sync I/O (Sync HD) box, which you'd most likely don't need unless you need to have a frame-accurate sync with video and LTC I/O.

Quote:
As I am talking through further, is the C24 able to work with Logic 9 as a control surface? I do most of my composition in Logic 9 and then switch over to Pro Tools for the producing side of things.
No, the C24 is custom-tailored for Pro Tools and can't control any other applications. There might be an update with EuCon protocol in the future, but I wouldn't count on it. If you use Logic on daily basis and want a control surface for both Logic and Pro Tools, you'll need to go with the Artist Series.

Tom

Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM

I am going to bite the bullet and go with the HD as the main interest for me with PT is HEAT plug in. But I am now going to use an analog board for mic pres and routing and premium converter - looking at Apogee vs Aurora and use the MC Mix and MC Control. Thanks Pro Tools would be my base but Logic would be for preproduction and composition.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I am going to bite the bullet and go with the HD as the main interest for me with PT is HEAT plug in. But I am now going to use an analog board for mic pres and routing and premium converter - looking at Apogee vs Aurora and use the MC Mix and MC Control.
Yep, that should work fine.