Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2018, 03:32 AM

Default Focusrite 2i2 dropouts when track is armed

I've been using PT10 with my Focusrite 2i2 on my Dell laptop running Windows 10 for ages, and it all worked great.

Got a new laptop (MSI GL72) and now when I arm a track, there are short dropouts in the incoming audio every few seconds - until I actually hit play or record, when it'll work fine until I hit stop, at which point the dropouts come back.

Then after a minute or two (seemingly no real pattern) all audio will stop working and only a restart of PT will fix it.

It works absolutely fine in Reaper, no dropouts and no other issues, no matter what the transport is doing.

I'm using the Focusrite ASIO driver, got all the latest drivers for everything, tried turning off all unnecessary hardware (LAN, wifi, camera, Bluetooth etc), changed all the power settings... what am I missing?

Steve.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Focusrite 2i2 dropouts when track is armed

What you're missing is compatibility between PT10 and Win 10 - ain't happening according to this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Consider yourself lucky that it even worked to begin with.

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2018, 07:14 AM

Well, that's just officially tested and supported - it obviously worked before so I can make it work again. I just haven't figured out which thing I need to poke to make it happen...
Old 08-30-2018, 09:58 AM

Okay, I also tried flashing the BIOS, disabled "USB selective suspend", tried all the USB ports (two are USB 3.0, one is USB 2.0), run as administrator, Windows 7 compatibility mode, uninstall ASIO4ALL, disabling non-essential services, turning hyperthreading off, changing the number of cores PT can use, disabled system sounds, made Windows not use the 2i2... none of which helped.

Finally tried disabling the option for "Ignore errors during playback/record" and hey presto, it works. I've never had to touch that setting on any PC I've used before.

I think I have restarted PT about 50 times and restarted my PC about 20 times trying to debug this one. Fun. Hopefully this post will help someone else in future!

S.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFireland View Post
Okay, I also tried flashing the BIOS, disabled "USB selective suspend", tried all the USB ports (two are USB 3.0, one is USB 2.0), run as administrator, Windows 7 compatibility mode, uninstall ASIO4ALL, disabling non-essential services, turning hyperthreading off, changing the number of cores PT can use, disabled system sounds, made Windows not use the 2i2... none of which helped.

Finally tried disabling the option for "Ignore errors during playback/record" and hey presto, it works. I've never had to touch that setting on any PC I've used before.

I think I have restarted PT about 50 times and restarted my PC about 20 times trying to debug this one. Fun. Hopefully this post will help someone else in future!

S.
Now you've found out the perils of using a non-compatible combo of PT and operating system. Do that and you can expect to have further travails like this. Don't say you weren't warned.

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:19 PM

It is compatible, it’s just not officially tested/supported. Sometimes you gotta work with what you got.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFireland View Post
It is compatible, it’s just not officially tested/supported. Sometimes you gotta work with what you got.
Not considered compatible according to Avid. It has been officially tested and is not supported - again according to Avid. Or don't you trust what Avid has said on the page I linked to? It's one of those things like I said before - there's no guarantee it will work without issues. There are fixes for your issues but don't expect help with the config you're trying to run.

But hey - go on your merry way. The first thing I'd look for if it were me is: is my system compatible with what the developer says? Sometimes one can get away with a non-compatible system if you don't mind dealing with the oddities that can happen. My time is worth too much to deal with such a system. There's plenty of plugins I'd like to run but they're not compatible with my system according to the developer; I've tried things and lo and behold I find the developer was right.

QAPLA!
Old 08-31-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
don't expect help with the config you're trying to run.
That's the spirit!

S.