Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 04-06-2017, 04:15 AM

Default New Avid S3 constant failing faders. ASC throws Visualforce error

Hello,
I work for a film school and we recently acquired a new Pro Tools HD|Native system, including a new Avid S3 control surface. Running on a Imac 27" 5K. Brand new install.

After a couple of days, the Eucon software randomly shows a message that oen or more faders are failing and disables those faders. Sometimes after a soft reset, they work again. Sometimes we need to powercycle the S3, sometimes even several times before it works again.

Disabled faders are completely random, although the last days, more often than not the 4th fader is wonky. Tried reinstalling (even full clean install), different OS versions, different Eucon versions, different Pro Tools versions. Same result, random drops.

I tried to file a support ticket, but after filling in all the info, the form throws a Visualforce error (tried on different browsers and computers, same deal).

Please advise.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Avid

Default Re: New Avid S3 constant failing faders. ASC throws Visualforce error

I'll try and get you some help....in the meantime if you select reset the back of faders does this not work?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:18 AM

Like I said, it's completely random.

The Eucon software mentions pops up a window that at least one fader has a problem, with the choice to reset the faders or ignore the message. Sometimes after a reset, the fader in question works again, sometimes it doesn't help and the same fader has a problem again (but it is able to move during the power cycle "animation"). Even if moving the fader manually in the hope to "dislodge" it from whatever the software thinks makes it stuck.

Same deal after a complete power cycle, sometimes it works after the first try, sometimes the problem remains.

But during my testing I found out the problem never happens while a fader is actively moving.
During a particularly bad day (faders deactivated constantly) I went into the S3 Utility mode and had the luck to be able to go to the Fader test page with all faders active. When running the test, everyhing worked. But as soon as I went to another page (encoders for example), when coming back to the fader page, some faders went dead again.

So i tried making a Pro Tools project that only contains some random volume automation for all the faders. And indeed. If I'm able to enter the project with all the faders in good shape, and run the automation in loop, all the faders keep working as long as the faders are moving (I let it run for a couple of hours, and they kept going). The first day I thought I found a "solution", because no faders went dead after I did this, for the whole day. But soon after, it randomly started dropping again. But always in a moment of inactivity.

So with those tests I'm pretty sure the problem exists in the firmware (Eucon Control isn't even running when in the Utility page). Seems like the firmware is deciding too quickly a fader is dead. None of the faders feel funny or obstructed, nor lag during motorized motion. When they work, they work as they should. But after a while, it gets pretty annoying, because you lose time trying to reset the situation, and lately, we even gave up, we just bank around the dead faders. Which is sad for such a new device.

Sadly, it's a random occurence. So I can't give any info if it's a certain action that triggers the behaviour or not.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Avid

Big thanks for the detailed reply ! I will make this my top priority next week to see what's going on. I see older threads going back a while about this, but posts that say it was fixed in 3.3.2 (obviously not). My S3 has one fader that does this so I can use it to test with.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 AM

I'd like to add myself to this thread as I am experiencing a similar issue with Fader 3 on my S*.

I did replace it with a new one since that was what tech support suggested but now the same thing starts again.
Very strange.

I am on Eucon 3.5.0
Firmware version is 1.1.3.39xxxxx and Eucon says its the latest.

Rebooting and reseting sometimes helps but more often not.

Georges
The Saxplayer
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxplayer View Post
I'd like to add myself to this thread as I am experiencing a similar issue with Fader 3 on my S*.
We had fader 12 of one of our S3's failing quite a few times with messages last year. We regularly reset things, but it kept on popping up. I ordered a new fader, but the problem then seemed to vanish (without us having replaced the fader). Now it has been a while since the problem appeared...strange...
Looking forward to a new Eucon release for this and lots of other things (such as rotary behaviour of S3 and PT Dock and reaction of buttons on the PT Dock)

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxplayer View Post

I did replace it with a new one since that was what tech support suggested but now the same thing starts again.
Very strange.

I am on Eucon 3.5.0
Firmware version is 1.1.3.39xxxxx and Eucon says its the latest.

Rebooting and reseting sometimes helps but more often not.
interesting, the very same fader slot had the issue even after replacing with a new one....which fader was it ?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Avid

Can I ask anyone with a fader that keeps failing to do this and let me know what happens after you reset it and its working again. Make sure you have tracks on the surface and then tap on the top panel around the suspect fader , does the fader value pop up on the OLED as if you were touching the fader ?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:38 AM

Yes, I just tried that and the db value popped up and changed on the OLED.
Also the fader select did lit up without me touching the fader.
In my case it is Fader number three.

It seems however now I cannot reproduce this.

Will do a reboot of the S3. just did.

No.... I still cannot reproduce that error.

I'll keep you posted.

Georges

Georges
The Saxplayer
Old 04-14-2017, 02:16 AM

I'll be able to test it next tuesday, I'll report my findings.