Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Default Digi 003 s/pdif input not working

I'm using a Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon with 12GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ram running Pro Tools 11.1.2 with a Digi 003 Control Surface. I use the S/PDIF output from an Apogee 44.4/48khz Rosetta A/D converter into the S/PDIF input on the Digi 003 but am not getting a signal into either the right or left S/PDIF input channel when attempting to record.

All other analog inputs work fine as inputs or recording. I previously used this same set up with a Power Mac G5 and the 003 with no problem. Only have the problem now with the newly upgraded system. I/O setup looks normal. Anyone have an answer or solution? What am I doing wrong? Is there a compatibility issue with PT11, the 003, and the Mac Pro? Help please..thanks.

Last edited by GTRXTC3000; 04-15-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Make easier to read and more info.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Digi 003 s/pdif input not working

Make sure you've got the latest drivers for the 003 from Avid. Look here:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...rivers&x=0&y=0

Also, you must switch the 003 to EXTERNAL CLOCK looking at the SPDIF input for it to lock to incoming digital.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Also, you must switch the 003 to EXTERNAL CLOCK looking at the SPDIF input for it to lock to incoming digital.
Specifically, set the clock source to SPDIF if that is the only connection from the Apogee. When ever you connect 2 devices via digital connection, one unit MUST be the master and the other MUST be the slave. If not, then either you get no audio(your case) or you get clicks and pops from the digital path(most ADAT/lightpipe connections).

Keep this in mind if you are new to digital connections and clocking; in this case, the Apogee would be the master so the sample rate is controlled by the Apogee. So MAKE SURE the session is set to the same sample rate. Why? Because its easily possible to create a session at, say 48K, but have the apogee set to 44.1K and you do your recording. Later on, you do a bounce, or you take the session somewhere else and all of a sudden it all plays back at the incorrect speed and pitch. Trust me....you don't want that to happen!(its a lesson most of us learn the hard way).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 12:24 PM

I've recently up graded from PT 9 to PT 10/11. I'm still debugging the transition. Since I installed the new 003 driver my SPDIF I/O hasn't worked. The I/O Bus matrix window only see 10 Analogue Ins & Outs, no SPDIF patch points …There's a Hardware Settings app called Avid 002 & 003 Family and it is in conflict with the Audio MIDI Setup window. The clock source selection menu in the Avid002&003 is toggled to a different setting in the AudioMIDI settings page.
I have no answers, just problems...
Best… ®
P.S. I'm working with PT10.3.8

Last edited by ReneB; 04-16-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: P.S. I'm working with PT10.3.8
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM

I definitely have the latest driver for the 003.Tried switching to the SPDIF as clock source and error message comes up saying "THE EXTERNAL CLOCK CHOICE IS INVALID. REVERTING TO INTERNAL" and automatically reverts back to the 003's internal clock. I've had this same set up since I started using Pro Tools 6, 7, & 8 and the 003 was always the clock source and never had a problem with it's SPDIF input till using PT11. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 PM

I am pretty sure that the S/PDIF never worked on the 003. Myself and some others on an old thread just hung onto our 002s because of this and the fact that it couldn't do the standalone mixer trick.

This info is a few years old. Maybe someone who actually has it working could chime in IF they currently have S/PDIF working on the 003?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM

I use the SPDIF IO on my 003 all the time. I have a DBX-386 preamp feeding the SPDIF input(my 003, ISA428 and the DBX are all clocked via wordclock from a Lucid GenX 192 master clock). And the SPDIF output feeds the RCA digital input of my Presonus Central Station. As I said above, clocking must be done correctly or you will have troubles. BTW, my rig runs both 10 and 11

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneB View Post
I've recently up graded from PT 9 to PT 10/11. I'm still debugging the transition. Since I installed the new 003 driver my SPDIF I/O hasn't worked. The I/O Bus matrix window only see 10 Analogue Ins & Outs, no SPDIF patch points …There's a Hardware Settings app called Avid 002 & 003 Family and it is in conflict with the Audio MIDI Setup window. The clock source selection menu in the Avid002&003 is toggled to a different setting in the AudioMIDI settings page.
I have no answers, just problems...
Best… ®
P.S. I'm working with PT10.3.8
I found a solution on gearslutz.com. Here it is: "Perhaps the optical format in Pro Tools (ADAT) is switched to spdif. It should be set to ADAT in the hardware set-up. This will switch the spdif back to it's normal rca style connector. In my I/0 set-up spdif is inputs 17 and 18. Hit "Defaults" in the i/o settings inputs dialog after you set up the hardware dialog properly."

When I hit the default button a total of 18 inputs (instead of 10) expanded including #17 & 18 for S/PDIF. I am now getting signal to the selected channel via S/PDIF and it works like it used to. Once you save your session this I/O format should automatically come up in all your sessions. Hope this helps you and anyone else having the same problem.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Once you save your session this I/O format should automatically come up in all your sessions.

I'm afraid that's not quite correct.

There are several different things that can cause this not to be true...and a matrix that's a little bigger than I want to deal with here.

Look in PT's Documentation\Pro Tools folder for a file named something like IO Setup Primer.pdf.

But now you've been warned...nobody on here will ever give you any help with I/O problems unless you pass a 10-question test on that guide.

Just kidding about the test, but the IO Setup Primer.pdf really is a must read...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh