Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Default Using elastic audio with multiple track groups

Hi all. Wonder if anyone can help me with this question. Spent hours trying to find solution and no luck so far. It's a bit hard to explain but I'll try.....

I'm trying to quantize multiple tracks with elastic audio. My problem is that I want the DRUMS to quantize and the other tracks to time stretch to the same amount. So that I keep the relative time differences between drums, bass etc.

The problem is that, of course, elastic audio sometimes gives preference to transients in other tracks, which means that I end up with the new warp markers being on the wrong place....ie not just before the kick!

Is there any way I can quantize the drums and somehow 'link' the other tracks so that they time stretch to the same amount but do not have any effect on the quantization? In other words elastic audio somehow gives preference to the drum transients and 'ignores' the other tracks while still stretching them to the same amount?

I know that I could quantize the drums first, then other tracks... but then I would lose the special imperfections that are in the performances because the other instruments won't be quantized in exactly the same way as the drums....

is any of this making sense? help!

neil.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Using elastic audio with multiple track groups

Select all tracks to be quantized, and right before you quantize, delete the analysis markers from the tracks that you want to "follow" the drum tracks. This may or may not work, as there have been changes to Elastic Audio lately, and I do not know what version you have vs. what the latest version's behavior is. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 PM

hi thanx for your reply. i did try that and the tracks with deleted analysis markers (bass, guitar etc) didn't change along with the quantized tracks (drums).

i am using 7.4.... i heard there is an upgraded version that has some changes to elastic audio. maybe someone here could enlighten us.....??
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 AM

Don't forget to re-group after the above marker-removal.
Should work but like most engineering, section by section and checking / making adjustments gets the best results.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:59 AM

Neil, imagine finding you here!

Try this:
Set all tracks to elastic, then analyse the tracks you want for guides, say the kick, snare and maybe tom tracks. Go to the Analysis page, set the sensitivity of the rhythmic plugin right so that it grabs just the right hits on those tracks and not the blanks. You may have to edit the analysis markers manually too.
Remove all the analysis markers from all the other tracks.
Now make a group of all tracks.
Go ot the Quantize page and set the quantize groove to say 16ths and the strength to 1%. This is hardly going to affect the timing at all but it will turn the analysis markers to warp markers! Great tool (thanks Kenny Gioia).
The warp markers should be across all tracks now.

All the best and say hello to Anne

/Erik