Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 01:24 PM

Default Mastering plugins from PT or SF

Should I always add C4 and L1 to my Master faders OR should I bounce without them to stereo wav files then later use C4 and L1 to master the raw wav in SoundForge? Not using these plugins in PTLE will save CPU power but will my mixing job better easier if I to everything in PT if I have the CPU power to do it? Thanks!

The DUC Rules!
Old 01-28-2002, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Mastering plugins from PT or SF

why SF?

bounce the files without the C4/L1
create a new session in PT, apply them there. Bounce.

www.abacomusic.com
Old 01-28-2002, 01:49 PM

I have to go to SF anyway and resave my wav files can be read by my Nero burner software. Nero can't open a raw bounced file from PT (which burns me, nyuck, nyuck). I hope Nero fixes that "feature". If I have a set of tunes for a CD and "master" the set in SF with the same C4/L1 settings that would give the set a more consistent feel in the final product. Sure I can do the same thing in PT but I want to use more plugins there if I can. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2002, 02:09 PM

Master in Protools. Bounce to disk with L1 set for -.3db ceiling and set threshold so that there is little to no limiting occurring. Just enough to prevent clipping. Open a new session in PT and import the bounced file. You then have the option of using up to 10 plugins simultaneously WITH AUTOMATION. Why would you want to do everything one step at a time destructively without automation?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:11 PM

In fact, you can bounce like I said just with L1 and open import all of your tracks to the same mastering session and use the same master bus with the same plugins. You still have the option of automation for any additional tweaking each mix would require.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:19 PM

Hi,
Master in Pro Tools. Whether you run them on your master fader when tracking or mixing is up to you and your PC, but I do it in a separate session because I don't always want to dither my bounces. If I'm going to make an mp3, or make a loop, or anything that isn't destined for a CD, then I don't dither and I probably stay 24-bit. Just this requirement led me to think it made sense to do the final L1 later. A C4 is probably up to you, but I do that in the mastering phase.

(Recently I started using them both as track plugins on my G&L F100 guitar. The G&L is a pretty bright guitar and can be sort of nasal. I like some of the thickness and punch I'm getting by using them after my Pod Pro but before the guitar is mixed in with everything else. However, on my system it gets hard to use them on both a track and a master at the same time because of CPU power.)

Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-28-2002, 06:51 PM

You just need to make sure that you don't dither till the final stage. What is the issue with Nero, 16bit 44.1khz interlaced wav files should work just fine.. you must bounce to this you cannot use raw broadcast wav.

James
Old 01-28-2002, 07:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Master in Protools. Bounce to disk with L1 set for -.3db ceiling and set threshold so that there is little to no limiting occurring. Just enough to prevent clipping. Open a new session in PT and import the bounced file. You then have the option of using up to 10 plugins simultaneously WITH AUTOMATION. Why would you want to do everything one step at a time destructively without automation? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly. I use the C4 with the L1 at the Mastering stage. Then I bounce at 192K/24 bit. Ok, I'm just kidding.
After your master bounce, you should be able to import into Nero if it is in 16 bit/44.1k . If it doesn't what good is it?
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 09:46 PM

rlcowa@work2, I've been having the same probs with nero.....yaknow.....it not making cd's that play and what not!. I've been running the wav.'s into goldwave and resaveing them...that still doesnt work well.

Mastering, Has anyone else tryed this? I slap a Renvox in the masterfader (around 4.0dB), and an L1. I than crank the master volume up a bit.....it working out real nice so far! tell me what you think.

-Travis
Old 01-29-2002, 06:55 AM

Thanks for all the great comments! I like the idea of bringing multiple 48/24 bounces of tunes into the same PT session then master them as a set with automation. I didn't even thing of the automation side of it. Good point! I still have to "save as" in SF for Nero's sake.

Now if I still have L1 on my indiviual tune masters when I bounce to 48/24 wav files, does the dither occur still if my original seesion is also 48/24? Do I need to set the dither off on L1 until I do that final bound to 44/16 in the mastering session with all my tunes lined up back to back? Is L1 smart enough to know that I am not changing word lengths thus it does not dither? I understand what dither does but I don't know if/when it is occurring. Thanks in advance! You guys are a great help!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]