Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2015, 02:01 PM

Default Kontakt as Stand Alone Slave - no VEP Pro?

Greetings,

I have an ancient Mac Pro with PTHD 9 on it. I recently experimented with terror and finally bought Logic 9. I set up slaving Logic on a MacBook Pro which actually works pretty well. I really think Logic gets better performance on the ancient MacBook over the ancient Mac Pro….using the same plugs in Kontakt.

Question…I know about VEP 5 Pro but isn't there an easy way to set up Kontakt in Stand Alone mode as a slave on my MacBook?(without Logic & or VEP Pro)?

TIA!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Kontakt as Stand Alone Slave - no VEP Pro?

Never mind....got it.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 AM

can you share with us how to do it ?? or if not possible let us know that as well .. thx john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-14-2015, 04:51 PM

If you don't have VE Pro, you will need an audio output from the slave computer connected to an audio input on the master computer, and MIDI out from the master computer connected to MIDI in on the slave computer. If you are sending digital audio via SPDIF, ADAT, etc. from the slave to the master, you need to sync the word clock of the two computers.

Usually, an audio interface with built-in MIDI is the simplest way to do this. You can also use an ethernet MIDI program like ipMIDI or MidiOverLAN to handle MIDI between the computers, but IMO you might as well just use VEP if you are going to get a network involved.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:29 AM

Later that day, sorry checking in here late…yes, connect the two computers with an ethernet cable & set up a network using the IAC Driver in the MiDI Window of the Audio MIDI setup. (There's some youtube vids showing how to specifically)Like John Toolbox mentions above, if you're using two computers you'll need to return the audio of the computer with the stand alone Kontakt back into a couple of channels(or more) of Pro Tools and also like he says….just get VEPro, an amazing piece of software that makes the process pretty seamless and you don't need an extra audio interface with it.

Splurge $25-30 on a USB Vienna Key or Stenberg Key and Vienna will link you a 30 day, fully functioning demo of VEP Pro. It's what I did. You'll buy the software after that for sure though.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 AM

Agree.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
Later that day, sorry checking in here late…yes, connect the two computers with an ethernet cable & set up a network using the IAC Driver in the MiDI Window of the Audio MIDI setup. (There's some youtube vids showing how to specifically)Like John Toolbox mentions above, if you're using two computers you'll need to return the audio of the computer with the stand alone Kontakt back into a couple of channels(or more) of Pro Tools and also like he says….just get VEPro, an amazing piece of software that makes the process pretty seamless and you don't need an extra audio interface with it.

Splurge $25-30 on a USB Vienna Key or Stenberg Key and Vienna will link you a 30 day, fully functioning demo of VEP Pro. It's what I did. You'll buy the software after that for sure though.
Does the key go on the master or slave computer (or both)? Straight or crossover ethernet cable?

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Does the key go on the master or slave computer (or both)? Straight or crossover ethernet cable?
You install the software on both, the key goes on the slave & you open up a VEP Server on the slave and open up a VEP RTAS plugin on an Instrument Channel on the Master, a pop up will come up and hit "connect". I just used a regular CAT5 Ethernet cable I had lying around. There's a slight learning curve to figuring out the MIDI channels and ins & out of how you want to route the stuff back & forth but even I was able to figure it out fairly quick.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
You install the software on both, the key goes on the slave & you open up a VEP Server on the slave and open up a VEP RTAS plugin on an Instrument Channel on the Master, a pop up will come up and hit "connect". I just used a regular CAT5 Ethernet cable I had lying around. There's a slight learning curve to figuring out the MIDI channels and ins & out of how you want to route the stuff back & forth but even I was able to figure it out fairly quick.
Thanks much. In my case for PT11 I'd open a VEP aax plugin on an instrument channel on the master machine right? If I get this sussed it would allow me to use an old Winbox laptop that has some synths that cannot be loaded on my iMac.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks much. In my case for PT11 I'd open a VEP aax plugin on an instrument channel on the master machine right? If I get this sussed it would allow me to use an old Winbox laptop that has some synths that cannot be loaded on my iMac.
Yah, obviously I guess you'd have to make sure that the software is good to go with your Winbox and that those synths can be loaded into VEP. It really is as advertised, pretty great software IMO.