Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Custom Snakes - Who can help?

Hey all. It's time I wire up the main connection between the Live Room and the Control Room in my studio. I'm approaching the situation the simplest way possible. No installed plates, no cable made out of solid gold. But I do want excellent quality and great results from the wiring. I'm planning to simply insert a PVC pipe between the two rooms through the wall, and feed the wiring through it. Of course, not all individual wires, but one snake.

And so that leads me to my question. I want a snake that is no more than 50 feet long, with a 16 input breakout box on one end and 16 individial TRS male plugs on the other. Built with mogami cable, or some company of equal quality, along with Switchcraft connectors, or again, a company of equal quality -- as the connectors are often the downfall of a snake.

Where can I go to get this snake built, and who can consult to my needs? Thanks to anyone!!
Old 10-26-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Custom Snakes - Who can help?

Personally, I'd buy a bunch of Neutrik connectors and break out the soldering iron. Cheapest way to get it done and feel secure about the connections..

If you're not too skilled at soldering, and don't mind paying a little extra, then contact a near-by touring sound rental company, they are always building their own cables and snakes. I've had quite a few built this way when I simply didn't have the time or facilities to do it myself.

You can also get custom snakes from some retailers like Full Compass, Sweetwater, or even your local pro-audio shop.

Good luck!
San Diego, CA
Old 10-26-2003, 09:19 PM

Wow, thanks. I really like Sweetwater and have done work with them in the past. I'm definitly going to check them out and see what they can do for me. Will they supply the cable ? I guess I should probably check with them!

Ok. Any other suggestions anyone?

Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:56 AM

how are you going to get the cable through the PVC? cut it open and glue back together?

anyway, this cable is probably readily available (not custom) from many places, check horizon or rapco.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:30 AM

I agree, make it yourself. It's more cost effective, and you know the qualoity fo the cabling. (Aslo it will be much easier to get through that PVC!!!!) I've seen so many "professional" cables that were made like absolute crap. we did all our cabling here inhouse, and have had zero failures. Go with Neutrik connectors, you can buy boxes prepunched, and use individually jacketted multicore, it's cheaper than buying heatshrink.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:08 PM

I'm not really experienced with this right now, and I don't really have the time or patience right now to attempt it myself, considering the build quality I'm looking for. I'll definitly consider a job done by Sweetwater. As for the PVC, I figured a 2-3 inch diameter tube, feeding the single male ends through it. If that doesn't work (I need to measure how big that end is), then I know that there are accessories offered by popular companies of the "anything snake" that is simply a plastic tube with a slit all the way along it, allowing the cable to be inserted, and it can hold numerous cables all in one tube.

Any other comments guys?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:16 PM

While I can appreciate your (no insult intended) lack of skills and reluctancy to take this on, what better way to hone your skills while getting a better quality product at the same time.

FWIW, I'd go at least 4" PCV. Try stuffing a bunch of connectors through 2 or 3" pipe, it's not easy. Once it si complete, make sure to put an acoustic seal on both ends of the pipe.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:18 PM

something in the buy and sell

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 10-29-2003, 02:42 PM

Whoa, I'm going to check with that guy. Thanks for the link! I've got to head out real soon for a gig, and I'll check back tonight. Thanks all!