Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Default HD1 PCIe vs HD2 Accel PCIx

Hey all,

Thinking of stepping up to the crossgrade bar, (yuck), getting a spanky Nehalem and going from HD2 Accel PCIx to HD1 Accel PCIe (makes the $$ much nicer, ~ $800 after selling the Accel card vs ~$3000 for HD2x to HD2e). I record 16 tracks or less at a time and average up to 40 or so tracks per session. I have pretty much only used TDM plugs so that I never have to worry about adding in parts later (a leftover since I come from the days when TDM was pretty much all we had). Count on at least a Revibe or 2 (takes one accell chip) and a TL Space (2nd chip) One Sansamp or Eleven (3rd chip), mix bus and delay comp (4th and 5th chips). The rest is Digi, Waves and Sound toys plugs. I currently use about 75% of the available chips in my system by the end of a mix. I know my plug count will go down and as I get close to the end of mixes I will probably have to add some RTAS.....

So, any users who have gone this route care to weigh in on how it goes..... Did you finally relent and get the 2nd card anyway?

Thanks,
-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 02-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Re: HD1 PCIe vs HD2 Accel PCIx

Have a buddy whos done that. Really into his electro and didnt really miss it until he needed to take his rig in to a place with a worryingly nice desk for a shed of a studio.
Check out ur usage on your biggest project and see if you can make the jump easily. By the sounds of things ur assumption is correct and you only need one. And hey, if you start to hit problems further down the line saving for an extra PCIe card is not impossible.