Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Default separate songs on long sessions?

Anybody...

How can you make separate songs off a long live recording? Can you keep them all in the same session?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: separate songs on long sessions?

save session as, this creates a new session and keeps the old one, so go to the orignal session save as then delete the rest of the other audio, repeat for every song
Old 01-15-2005, 08:17 PM

You don't say how many tracks are involved.

If you're making a CD from a Live DAT recording, then you can easily keep them all in one session. I recently mastered a live CD for an artist by just snipping the songs and copying each of them to a new stereo track. I put whatever inserts I needed on each track instead of the master track, so that the mix was repeatable should I need to re-master - which I did.

Even if they're multi-track recordings, you CAN keep them all in one long session and automate any plugin settings for each song. It's just a bit more awkward that way. Punker's way will work for splitting multi-track recordings and I've done that in the past, too.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:06 PM

So do you solo a stereo track and bounce to disk for each song? I am recording my club shows and I end up with about hour long sessions for each set(about a dozen songs). I was hoping there was some sort of marker to throw in so I could bounce these down with the songs separated. I am trying to avoid much mixing and editing. These are for the band to review the show and hear what works and what doesn't. Bye the way is your system info part of your signature?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 08:10 PM

If I'm making separate stereo tracks, yes, I solo each stereo track when bouncing - or listening, obviously . To make the songs into stereo tracks, just separate them as regions and, in Spot mode, drag them to the new track. Wham, they're instantly at the beginning of the track. You don't have to use spot mode, it's just quicker for me.

If they're all one long stereo track, then you only need to do a couple of things (assuming you don't need to automate any effects):

1. separate each song into it's own region at the appropriate break point; You may need a short fade in/out between songs - or a crossfade if they overlap.

2. highlight the songs one at a time:
a. press the Enter Key to make a marker - but make it a "Selection Memory Location" marker making sure the selected area includes any fades.
b. name it per the song's title.

Then when you want to bounce a song, just select the memory location and the entire song will be highlighted to your bounce specs.

Just remember to turn off any pre or post roll before bouncing.

When I mastered a live show CD for a guy recently, I had to cut out a bunch of in-between-song chatter and then crossfade between the two songs for a seamless transition (by using Jam). We even had fun with taking some cheering from another song and lightly introducing it into another song on a separate stereo track (fading it in a little). We did this two or three times, actually. Blended in with the original audience reaction, it's really hard to tell it's the same cheering/applause, but it adds to the overall effect.

Have fun!

...and yes, my sig contains my system info.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:03 AM

Cant you do it like this:

Select the whole stereo track,
use "strip silence" (if the audience doesnt go crazy with applause?) to divide the songs into regions,
select all regions and export as files.