Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2002, 07:13 PM

Default Seemed to have fixed it!!! BUT........

Seemed to have fixed that problem I had with popping and crackling audio (finger's crossed). I noticed that the HD I had soley for audio was not DMA checked. I also disabled System Resource because I read somewhere in a previous post that this would speed up my pc. I just hope that there are no repercussions from this. What damage could it do by disabling Sys Restore??? But now that I've changed those two things it seems to be ok.
But I have another question. I have plugged my acoustic guitar in and attempted to add a bit of delay whilst I am recording using the Short Delay plug-in. But the effect is coming a second after the input. I figured that this would not happen as I have the Audigy (low latency) card. I know I can mute the track that I am recording on and during playback the effect will be there, but I would like to hear the effect as I'm playing it. Is there anyway I can elimate this delay and make it so that I can hear the effect as I'm recording my guitar tracks??
Thanks in advance guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2002, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Seemed to have fixed it!!! BUT........

Me again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Although now even on playback with 2 plug-ins added to the acoustic track there is a slight (not as much as when monitoring the recorded track with the plug-ins) delay stil happening. This really shouldn't be happening should it?? I mean if this type of thing was going to happen regardless of latency, digi wouldn't have added the plug-ins in the first place.
How do I get around this situation????
Old 08-19-2002, 10:23 PM

Hello.....me again.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

when you add a delay its quite obvious you will experience a delay... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

seriously, when you slide the mix-slider to the left, you will start hear some of the track "dry". to control the feedback, slide the feedback-slider of-center.

Do not spend too much money on perfecting your protools free setup...Keep in mind that you can buy a used audiomediaIIIcard for something like $200, and a used digi001 for around $600. You will need one of thise to run ptle, and that is a totally different program, wich runs much more stable, and offers a latency of less then 3 ms.

Bastiaan
Old 08-20-2002, 06:30 AM

Ahhh.....yes. I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm a complete idiot!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I've figured out what I was doing wrong. I know what you are saying about the delay Bastiann, but that definetly was not the case. Over the past couple of days I have melted my brain trying to get my head around the setup of PTFree. I don't want to go ahead and purchase yet another 001, as I know I will never get to the point where I will need to record more than 2 inputs at once on my home PC. PtFree is really the only thing I want to use for home recordings.
But back to the problem i had before, I had the buffer size on 8192. For some reason I thought that this would be the best. And I also read on other posts that reducing this was a bad idea if you are using Soundblaster cards. But the majority of ppl here seem to be using the SB Live card. As I am using the Audigy I thought I would try reducing it. I can get it down to 512 with the very odd occassion where I get a DAE error. If it happens too much then I put it to 1024. I can hear a slight latency but nothing that is too much of a worry.
So fingers crossed Bastiaan!!! Maybe I won't have any more problems. But with half of my brain melted away trying to figure all this out you never never know..........
Cheers
SleezyWineBarZ
Old 08-20-2002, 08:01 AM

If you are sure that you will never need more than two inputs AND you want a system running with good performance and no latency problems aso, then wait for the M-Box for Windows (hopefully coming soon...). Look for it on the digidesign page.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block