Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Default Pro Tools and Frontier Design Group Alpha Track Computer DAW control

Does anyone use this controller for their Mac based Pro Tools LE setup?
Pros or cons?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Frontier Design Group Alpha Track Computer DAW control

I use it all the time on LE and HD. It works perfectly.
I mostly only use the fader, though, for setting mix levels. I like to look away from the computer monitor when I set levels so that I am only relying on my ears.
All the other features of the AlphaTrack are fine, but through the years, I've come to use the fader mostly; I have memorized many keyboard commands for everything else.
The main reason I use the AlphaTrack over other controllers is its very small footprint.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Frontier Design Group Alpha Track Computer DAW control

@anothercolor: Did you find a way of making the Alphatrack jump directly to the track you are working on / that is highlighted in PT ?

When I use it in Logic this works just fine, whenever I click on a different track -> the Alphatrack immediately "jumps" and the motorfader goes in position...but in PT (I am on PT 8.1) it doesn't

I have to turn alphatrack's Knob Nr. 1 and the tracks will highlight / move in groups of 8 faders... whereas the most left one will react to my volume-control on the alphatrack once I touch it.

Not a great way of working ... As you can imagine I'd just like to have the one track I am editing react to alphatrack right away...

But in the peripheral-setup of PT i can only activate HUI and it wont give me e.g. one single Midi chan as an opt, only 8 (which is I guess why it moves in groups of 8...)

I also only use the vol, perhaps every now and then Solo or Mute when in logic, but for this the alphatrack is great, takes little space on the desk and is QUIET (when not moving. I had a 8 chan-Mackie whose motorfaders made so much noise even in standby mode I sold it again...)