Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 AM

Default 003 and ER it`s NOT a dream

After reading all the threads , I realised that working with 003 and ER at the same time is more a pain , not a pleasure.

Reamping in this format takes hours and a double set of monitors.

Switching cables each and everytime you have to edit your guitar tone on a track is not what one would expect.

After waiting for a solution for more then six month, I can say now that this is not something you would like to have in your semi-professional studio.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Default Re: 003 and ER it`s NOT a dream

Huh??? I don't have any of these problems. Plug my Eleven Rack into 002R (similar to 003, right?) via S/PDIF and viola. Only use one set of monitors, too. Although I am contemplating getting a little patch bay for when I don't want to fire up the "big rig" and just use the 11R. Simple input swap and done.

There are several spots on this forum explaining how to accomplish this best.

Could it be a little better in a few aspects, yes...but I've been able to work with it quite well.

Maybe explaining your setup a little would help?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM

003 and 11R work great together for me. what is your exact problem?

I am contemplating selling the 003R though and going to Native-HD, but that really has nothing to do with your question

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Just two SPDIF cables needed for this.

S..

Scofield...
Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Halley View Post
Just two SPDIF cables needed for this.

S..
Correct me if I'm wrong but you need the USB cable to embed rig settings.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-08-2011, 03:01 AM

Goga is referring to all the advanced features of the 11, such as the dry track to reamp, where PT needs to see the 11 as the interface.

If you already have an 003 with tons of peripherals (additional light pipe pre's, outboard tube pre's, and other gear, plus monitors) connected, it does become a trade off. If you switch ProTools to use the 11 as the interface, the 003 is supposed to seamlessly hand off the interface to the 11, however, mine flashes, the faders go up and down, and then the 003 is hung in some crazy state - which it needs a reboot after.

When the 11r is the primary interface for ProTools, the 003 is useless. No audio can pass through her, meaning, no monitors.... So you have to undo all those cables and plug them into the 11. I have DynAudio's plus a KRK sub, so switching all these cables around is PIA.

For me, I connect the 11 via S/PDIF to the 003 and call it a day. I use none of the re-amp features or the dry track feature, as I prefer to use monitors instead of headphones.

Personally I think re-amping is a good tool for future options, and if it's really needed, there is the old fashion way - DI Box first, one cable goes to 003 for dry un-amped signal, and the other goes through the Eleven.

Most good guitar tuners such as Peterson Strobe Stomp II, are active DI boxes as well.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Paul_g is wright about what I'm reffering to.

As long as 003&ER have no easy workflow, the combination is doomed.
I bought ER EXACLTY with the thouhgt that I will reamp very easy.
In the end, what is the point of having such a machine in the studio if not reamping??? The cost of doing this in my situation is very high, both in money and in the time I have to use.

The worse is that I see no future for this combination, I see no good response from digi and I think I just have to find the "perfect guitar tone". Back to the 80's or back to the plugins, and 600 bucks gone.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goga View Post
Paul_g is wright about what I'm reffering to.

I bought ER EXACLTY with the thouhgt that I will reamp very easy.
In the end, what is the point of having such a machine in the studio if not reamping??? The cost of doing this in my situation is very high, both in money and in the time I have to use.

The worse is that I see no future for this combination, I see no good response from digi and I think I just have to find the "perfect guitar tone". Back to the 80's or back to the plugins, and 600 bucks gone.
i dont get it guys??? it is easy to reamp with the 002/003 as the main interface. i do it quite a bit, am actually doing it right now. i also have an rme fireface hooked up its all fine if you know how to do it.

spidf from 00x to 11r and usb to computer.

in your 11r settings set the input to digital l and set the digital output to rig outputs. your input into the 11r (and your output from your dry track in pt) is spidf l and your 11r output (and new track input) in spidf r. you can also then send your rig outputs to the amp outputs and reamp to them also.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goga View Post
Paul_g is wright about what I'm referring to.

I bought ER EXACTLY with the thought that I will reamp very easy.

Goga, IMO, the Eleven tone is far superior to any amp modeling device I've ever used, and is currently on a commercial project I'm doing now. So, at the end of the day, it's the tone you want... the other stuff is the add-on's.

Guitardom, this is good information you have posted. I will give this a try. Thanks for posting this!
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
Goga, IMO, the Eleven tone is far superior to any amp modeling device I've ever used, and is currently on a commercial project I'm doing now. So, at the end of the day, it's the tone you want... the other stuff is the add-on's.

Guitardom, this is good information you have posted. I will give this a try. Thanks for posting this!
he is upset for not knowing what he is doing. there is no features of the guitar simulation section / mic preamp you cant use slaving it to another interface. the only thing you cannot do is use the main volume as monitor controlling for obvious issues. it does come with a manual and it has lots of information.also asking rational questions instead of assumptions is another trick to getting more information.

another tidbit:

if you would like to record your dry track and the rig output of 11r you can do that to!

create 2 tracks
input 1 to spidf l
input 2 to spidf r
then set the input of 11r to guitar
set the digital output to split in/out.
left will be the dry track
right will be the rig track.
you can also set the right track only to imbed the rig settings now if you wish.

then follow my info from the previous post.

you can now completely create and reamp your dry tracks all day long using the 11r as a slave.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10