Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2018, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.5 "Not Responding"

Hmm interesting because I have tried everything and I get the same symptoms. I have optimized my system my system so well that I am under 2 seconds start up. My Protools 10 runs lightening fast with zero issues (except can't get Waves plugins to show) and my PT 12.5.2 won't do anything....45 seconds freeze time is low compared to mine....1-3minutes. If I try to add a plug in it's a guaranteed restart everytime.

I run Windows 10. 12Gb ram, i5 3.2GHz. 1TB internal drive, 3TB 3.0USB ext. I have completely wiped it out 2x with a full 100% reformat of everything, even the back up of the backups on the HD. I reinstall only PT 12, no other things except that. nope no change. Bought a fast 3.0USB Drive which can run any other DAW I have without any issues like this but PT won't get out of it's own way. I have been on a ton of different PT forums and tried everything I can think of on why this is happening. I have a pc that should be able to run this easily and set up for audio production. I've downloaded the install file all over again, nope. Put it this way it runs Sonar Platinum 100% flawlessly with a ton of tracks and plugins open. I installed it to make sure it wasn't my pc or anything else and 100% perfect. I've wanted to switch to PT 2 years ago and if it wasn't for PT10 I wouldn't be using it at all.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay Avid for support to resolve this because after 2 years of owning this, 2 different pc's a ton of wasted hours trying myself it is time to pay the man for redemption..... I have never been able to use PT12 even once but I'm stubborn and refused to ask Avid for help because I figured it was something I was doing wrong but at this point I give up.....U N C L E....
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 AM

well just so you know, 12gb ram is under the actual system requirements of pro tools:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

before you spend money on a support call, just know Avid will tell you your setup is not meeting the minimum requirements. Just wanted to point that out.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:00 PM

That page was updated in the last month or so. When 12.5 was released several years back, these were the system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements –
PC Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 15GB HDD space, iLok 2
Mac OSX 10.8.5, Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 15GB HDD space, iLok 2
Old 01-24-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
well just so you know, 12gb ram is under the actual system requirements of pro tools:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

before you spend money on a support call, just know Avid will tell you your setup is not meeting the minimum requirements. Just wanted to point that out.
TMN...thanks for the response but my system's issues were caused by two conflicting Focusrite dirvers for the 18i20. Apparently Focusrite now has Version 2 of the 18i20 and I must've downloaded the new one and installed it over the first one but it never overwrote the old one but instead installed along side of it causing a conflict in PT12. I found this out by downloading Asio4all and noticed the lagging stopped completely but obviously I couldn't see my 18i20 by doing that so I thought about it and looked for drivers that might be conflicting and found the new 18i20 (2nd driver). Once I removed it and I restarted it, it is seriously flying so 12gb does work fine so far. I opened 100 tracks just to see what would happen and applied a reverb across 50 of them.....not one bit of lag at all. It is flying again! I'm sure Avid's recommendations of 16-32gb ram is valid but honestly I don't see any lag at all at 12Gb. Is that for the HD version? I do not have that and honestly I am a home studio so I will probably be ok for a while. I will probably upgade it anyway but I'm gonna push the limits just to see what I can do.
Thanks though.