Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 AM

Default Re: hdx aaxdsp is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
There are other sources also on the net that provides a list

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/aax-plug-in-database/
thank you Emcha

but the OP's point stands don't you think? That the actual company itself is now for 2 months (or is it even more?) not providing a way to find a list of dsp plugins? It's like they don't care..

why don't avid even link to say "for those wanting a list of all dsp plugins as our plug in finder is under construction, please visit so and so .com"
Old 03-05-2018, 03:07 AM

AAX DSP vs AAX Native from the database is 174 to 979 which pretty much sums it up.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/aax-plug-in-database/

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-05-2018, 10:42 AM

I have an HDX3 system. I fully expect if the new CEO does his job my HDX3 will be worthless.

Waiting for ProTools UNLIMTED. The ultimate native solution.

AAX DSP R.I.P.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cole View Post
I have an HDX3 system. I fully expect if the new CEO does his job my HDX3 will be worthless.

Waiting for ProTools UNLIMTED. The ultimate native solution.

AAX DSP R.I.P.
I agree an amalgamation of Native and HD would be best for the platform.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I guess there will always be some form of AAX DSP though for the S6L?
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD
Digigrid IOX
DiGiGrid D
Waves Soundgrid Server One
Old 03-05-2018, 09:59 PM

i have been a pro tools user for a very very long time. It use to be that pro tools had the best plugins…that couple with their interface. power and reliability made them unbeatable.

If i were them, i would go on a shopping spree and buy companies like acustica, sknote, slate, plugin alliance and really build up a cult following again…even if you offer these plugins on other platform it could still be a money maker and increase their profile. Imagine if avid had bought Universal Audio years ago…what kind of market share would thy have.

Avid has lost their way and believed that their platform was so great that no one would ever jump ship or catch up.

Lack of vision and forward thinking. hope the new ceo is better or at least accepts an offer to sell to dolby.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

Here's an XL sheet I've compiled to reference which lists the currently available AAX DSP plug-ins.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gux2o5emjj..._DSP.xlsx?dl=0

best,

Jeff
thanks for doing this Jeff.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Default hdx aaxdsp is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Imagine if avid had bought Universal Audio years ago…what kind of market share would thy have.

They (Avid)would have destroyed it (UAD), and it would not be as awesome as it is today.

It would have been the Structure (or synchronic) of DSP.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
i have been a pro tools user for a very very long time. It use to be that pro tools had the best plugins…that couple with their interface. power and reliability made them unbeatable.

If i were them, i would go on a shopping spree and buy companies like acustica, sknote, slate, plugin alliance and really build up a cult following again…even if you offer these plugins on other platform it could still be a money maker and increase their profile. Imagine if avid had bought Universal Audio years ago…what kind of market share would thy have.

Avid has lost their way and believed that their platform was so great that no one would ever jump ship or catch up.

Lack of vision and forward thinking. hope the new ceo is better or at least accepts an offer to sell to dolby.
I can't agree with the idea of them buying all those companies.. not at ALL.. however i do agree with the last two sentences.. Also, Avid is losing dominance cause they keep pushing every day non HD users like me away..

By the end of this year I will be completely transitioned to Cubase, and this is entirely because of Avid. A daw i love, so much, yet I am moving on from it. I think I am one of the biggest pro tools apologists out there, yet still they keep pushing us away with purposely imposed (and infuriating) limits.

The issue is not too few HDX plugins, cause the plugins that ARE aax dsp are friggin fantastic! What a wonderful assortment! Sure it would be great to have even more, but right now, any sort of audio production one could ever dream of can be done to perfection and sound fantastic using only the dsp plugins currently available. Let's be real here.. I mean MCDSP's entire suite, most of alliance, many softube.. avid's entire line, and a few here and there from various companies.. delays, verbs, special fx like futzbox, eq's and resonant filters.. they are all covered and one can argue nothing else is "needed". We even have a great tape emulation with softube tape which is DSP. The only thing that may be missing is something like VCC but brainworx channel strips have some mojo that can be used this way with their tolerance modelling also. Still, a dedicated non EQ, just mojo emulated analog channel like VCC would be good and the only real gap AFAIK. What else do you NEED? I don't quite get why people think the aax dsp library is not fantastic as it is right now. However. YES, it is not expanding much.. and a few devs have already abandoned it.. those that were all for it at first.. so that is NOT a "good" sign.

If Avid made it more accessible price wise and i/o wise, it would be more popular, and devs like softube would *not* be winding down their aax dsp support.

so, that's point 1, and it is Avid's fault.

if they stopped the ridiculous arbitrary 32 input limit without their hardware, even with HD software, people would not be leaving. Point 2, and again avid's fault.

If they fixed low latency performance for core audio, people would not be leaving. Another one that is avid's fault (again, i believe they programmed it this way to push their own hardware sales for low latency solutions).

If they didn't make sidechain ADC *only* for HDX, people would not be leaving. Guess who's to blame again? Yep, Avid.

You see I believe it is Avid's horrible business decisions that are damaging HDX from soaring further. Yes, I guess we could say now that HDX is in it's final decline and has no hope of "booming" unless avid make some smart business decisions.

They have had so many opportunities to design a cost effective all integrated solution like apollo but using their HDX system.. say an interface with built in DSP, crazy low RTL, fanless.. thunderbolt and you could daisy chain more of them.. Like apollo and same price as apollo.

Result? Suddenly, those using pro tools wanting a low latency solution, en masse, would actually buy avid's solution in many cases over UAD's.

Suddenly, more and more start developing for the AAX DSP chips. Suddenly, those who need huge setups that only HDX can provide, are more comfortable with investing in something like a HDX 3 system..
All the positive energy continues to flow Avid's way.
More project studios switch TO Pro tools..

Even bedroom producers....

But even the one reasonably priced solution that currently exists, to have DSP low latency monitoring without the cpu issues.. UAD Apollo that is, Avid have deliberately crippled.. yes, even that.. And once again Pro tools is the only DAW to do so..
how have they crippled it? Easy. They make it so users of interfaces with dedicated separate mixer apps, can not punch in and out properly on the same track where a recording has already been made.

And guess what?

Their strategies are not working.

Because people like me, yes, the little guy like me, are getting, to put it bluntly, *pissed off* with them continually and purposely crippling things.. and rather than move up to their premier solutions to have what we need, we are simply giving the middle finger and switching DAWs.

It is Avid's fault that AAX DSP is dying as they refuse to give it an easy entry solution for the Apollo people's price range, and it's Avid's fault that PT software is losing market share.

I actually wish i could get the decision makers and physically shake some sense into them, it is so frustrating how dumb they are, or if they are not dumb, how badly they want to sink Avid.

Last edited by TNM; 03-14-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: just added a couple extra sentences, and fixed spelling
Old 03-14-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
But even the one reasonably priced solution that currently exists, to have DSP low latency monitoring without the cpu issues.. UAD Apollo that is, Avid have deliberately crippled.. yes, even that.. And once again Pro tools is the only DAW to do so..
Actually, Waves Soundgrid via Soundgrid Studio is also very powerful for low latency DSP monitoring both playback and record.
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD
Digigrid IOX
DiGiGrid D
Waves Soundgrid Server One
Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
Actually, Waves Soundgrid via Soundgrid Studio is also very powerful for low latency DSP monitoring both playback and record.
this is why i said reasonably priced..

the soundgrid i/o here in oz at least without any DSP is like 4 grand.. the apollo quad is 4 grand (best price actually is 3600 here in AUD)

you would need at minimum the impact server on top, and both waves i/o AND even the tiny impact server are all fan powered.. eek. Anyway to get an impact server here with all currency conversion and shipping costs is about 1200 AUD. Might be 1300 if customs flags it.. Threshold is currently 1000 AUD so depends on the day. You can get an apollo twin quad for 1500 then a behringer ada 8200 for 300 so 10 inputs with uad quad for 1800 total, ready to go.

For someone with a machine room and a bit more money to spend, definitely a great option though, agreed on that.. waves' catalog is plentiful and covers absolutely everything anyone might ever need to put on a live signal being monitored through FX.. i would say that even though UAD's emulations are far superior, with waves you have many creative choices you just don't have with UAD.. If waves made it simpler (they discontinued the only interface they had which had i/o with dsp on board) to understand, that wouldn't hurt either ........