Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2002, 02:19 PM

Default feedback on my mixes

just wondering if i could get some comments on my latest mix. the song is called "may i come". it hasn't been mastered so the volume is pretty low. thanks

http://www.mp3.com/awasunexpected
Old 09-09-2002, 02:44 PM

Default Re: feedback on my mixes

Its acutally not bad. I would suggest raising the vocals and adding more compression to the vocals. I would also slightly suggest a mild auto-tune on the vocals. Auto-tune can be wonderfully effective if you use it correctly.
The distorted vocal could also use some eq tweaking.
Other than that good song man. Sounds good.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:14 PM

Decent Song. The bass is killing me though....it is really hitting a little too hard..try to shape it a little so it fits in better....smooth the levels out on the drums. I am not a big fan of very noticable delays..but what the hell. Keep up the work. I am also listen on some computer speakers w/ a sub. so that doesn't really help.

Nick
Old 09-09-2002, 03:23 PM

I would disagree with what someone else posted; I like the bass where it is. But, Im a bass player. I think the bass has a key melodic part and should stay where it is.

My overall impression was that the mix was too dry for this style; especially the drums. I would work with adding some nice healthy plate reverb to the drums, and also a little something to the vocals. On the vocals, I might automate the reverb so that it only has a noticeably long tail on certain parts/accents.

Id also like to hear a bit more guitar. The level seemed nice around 3:25 with the right hand guitar stepping up a bit.

I might also consider doing some judicious editing to make things a little tighter.

D
Old 09-09-2002, 03:26 PM

thanks for the comments. nick i'm not sure what you meant by "noticable delays" because i didn't use any delay at all. actually the only plugins i used were an LA2A & RenaissanceEQ on the vocals, RenaissanceEQ on the bass guitar and i used trueverb. i also tracked the kick with a dbx160vu.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:48 PM

Looks like mp3.com is down? I can't access your page, neither can I mine or even mp3.com's home page.

6am eternal
Old 09-09-2002, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by terraform:
just wondering if i could get some comments on my latest mix. the song is called "may i come". it hasn't been mastered so the volume is pretty low. thanks

http://www.mp3.com/awasunexpected
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, the volume is definitely low. Anyway, I say it needs more good low bass (especially on the kick) and less mud (It is a bit hard to tell listening to MP3, but I hear different tracks competing in about the 350Hz range). Some of the highs seem kinda harsh (louder snare hits and cymbals). Different vocal tracks (not including the distortion) need to be more balanced with one another and more up front (just a bit) in the mix. Last criticism - use less delay and more verb.

The good.. I dig the acoustic guitar sound, the "roominess" of the drums, and I think the vocals come across pretty well. The mix is pretty well balanced overall. Sounds to me like you need to pay a bit more attention to the quality of your original tracks (always the most important thing in my book) and to use EQ a bit more judiciously.

Well, that's my opinion. Hope it helps. Keep making music...

PS - I guess the "delay" effect is from the multiple vocal tracks, but, yeah, I agree woth the post that suggests more verb on the vox and drums - especially the vox...
Old 09-09-2002, 07:10 PM

I also agree with the vocals, but its good tune to work with. Keep it up.

Take Care,
Gene