Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Question about Sleep Mode Support

After a tech question to digi telling them that my mbox was making my computer crash randomly, they sent me the response that digidesign hardware doesnt support sleep mode (which i kind of already knew). So the simple answer would be turn sleep off yadda yadda. But I have a few questions.

Isn't it bad to leave the computer (a MBP) running all the time just so i could have itunes play out my monitors? The thing gets very hot as is. Also, what about the harddrive sleep checkbox?

Also, I use a bluetooth mouse, and airport to connect to the internet...are these things i have to turn off as well? I know digi says they don't support it but it never SEEMS to have caused a problem. what kind of problems would they usually caused.

thanks for your help in advance.

PS: I really would like to hear digi try to fix this sleep issue as opposed to just say they don't support sleep mode.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Question about Sleep Mode Support

Anybody?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 PM

I find that with the Mac it is quite easy to change these settings when you are doing your PT work and put sleep etc back on when you are just doing things like listening to itunes or safari surfing.

I agree with you that having all that turned on and heating up can't be good long term. I have a mac pro with separate monitor meaning I can turn it off without shutting down the Mac if I am leaving the room for a while. Those with imacs do have an issue given they are all combined.

Cheers
Old 06-03-2008, 04:20 PM

well it seems its not just protools that doesnt support sleep but the hardware. so if im just listening to itunes and the i put the comptuer to sleep, when it wakes, i usually get a crash at somepoint soon after. see what im saying?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Sorry I overlooked the fact you were using the Digi hardware to monitor itunes.

I run itunes and non PT audio through the Mac line out and some cheaper desktop monitors.

I kept getting frustrated at the Digi core audio driver and hardware sometimes working sometimes not so I forgot about using it all together.
Ends up helping me check my own mixes in itunes out of a typical desktop speaker which many people would have anyway.

Cheers
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I really would like to hear digi try to fix this sleep issue as opposed to just say they don't support sleep mode.
There is nothing to fix - Pro Tools doesn't support sleep mode. Same as with a PC - it doesn't support Wi-Fi connected.

Pro Tools is a professional application and we are extremely lucky to have so many features for LE. All you have to do on a Mac is change a handful of things - including this and most things will run OK.

If you have an external mixer - just connect your in built audio jack into it and leave the MBox or 002/003 off. Turn sleep mode on or off (it sounds like more of a personal computer anyhow - not for work). You should even be able to fix a hotkey for this.

It's not Digi's problem - it's yours...
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM

My Mac never sleeps only the display. It's on pretty much 24-7 unless I'm away for more than a day.

It doesn't crash.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 PM

I actually plug and unplug the Mbox I travel around with from my powerbook all the time. I use it as an output device for iTunes and whenever it's plugged in things work fine. Whenever it's unplugged, things work fine too, just outputting thru the built-in hardware. I never close the lid and put it to sleep when Pro Tools is running, but I can open it up and launch Pro Tools at will. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:46 AM

the problem for me is i get kernel panics that mention the mbox, and in activity monitor, i always find coreaudiod not responding. Point is this, when i use the mbox to play system sounds i have to restart my computer 10 times a day due to kernel panics. I am assuming this is when i let the computer go to sleep but maybe i would get the panics even if it didn't. Does noone else experience this?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 AM

To return to the OP's original question. I believe that one of the problems with Sleep Mode (and why it's not supported) is that there can be problems recognizing the Digi interface coming out of sleep. Kernel Panics may or may not be due to this but as it's been known to cause problems, it makes sense to turn it off. If the problems persist, then it's a process of elimination to find the culprit.

As for Blue Tooth, this is one more process that the CPU has to attend to and the resultant activity spikes are never going to be good for audio programs.

As others have alluded to, rather than looking for a way to make the rig work with these switched on, it makes sense to accept the situation and move on to addressing any remaining issues that may be causing the Kernel Panics.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg