Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2020, 12:16 PM
DonaldM's Avatar
DonaldM DonaldM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,277
Default Mixing a virtual choir

In these days of COVID-19, choirs are being creative in trying to do things virtually. In my own church we've done a couple of virtual things so far. One was with the band and a soloist, the other with a bunch of kids. I did the mix and they both came out okay. But, as we'll be trying more of these in the near future, I thought I'd ask here for any tips/tricks or things to think about when trying to mix with less than ideal audio. Most of them just record themselves on their smart phone's video, or laptop and then I strip the audio to do the mix, and someone else does the video edits and uses my mix as the track.



I did what I could with EQ and such, but still...I know they could be better.



So, any suggestions on how best to approach it with this sort of thing?



Thanks for any ideas.
__________________
"Never believe anything you hear in a song." Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Owner: Dragon Rock Productions LLC
Dell XPS 435T/9000 Win-10 Pro 24gig RAM
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2020, 02:18 PM
crizdee's Avatar
crizdee crizdee is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 10,557
Default Re: Mixing a virtual choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
In these days of COVID-19, choirs are being creative in trying to do things virtually. In my own church we've done a couple of virtual things so far. One was with the band and a soloist, the other with a bunch of kids. I did the mix and they both came out okay. But, as we'll be trying more of these in the near future, I thought I'd ask here for any tips/tricks or things to think about when trying to mix with less than ideal audio. Most of them just record themselves on their smart phone's video, or laptop and then I strip the audio to do the mix, and someone else does the video edits and uses my mix as the track.



I did what I could with EQ and such, but still...I know they could be better.



So, any suggestions on how best to approach it with this sort of thing?



Thanks for any ideas.

Hi,


izotopr RX7 has good function for separation, pulling the vocal out of a mix if you need that.


ReVoice Pro has a good double track feature where you can change the pitch and formant of the double tracks to give a more realistic multi voice sound.


Both available to demo and i think you might get 3 months demo at the moment, but not sure 100%




Chris
__________________
PT MAC Troubleshooting... http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54888

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com


PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2020, 04:56 AM
notable's Avatar
notable notable is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Watertown, MA, USA
Posts: 144
Default Re: Mixing a virtual choir

Use RX for all the crazy noise and tone issues of incoming poorly home recorded content. Some people will need reverb removed (nasty room and laptop screen reflections from omni laptop mics) and some will need reverb enhanced. RX has a reverb remover... so do sonible, accusonus, SPL, acon and zynaptic. I have not tried all of them but would love to compare them first hand and write a review. Then eqing to get weight for some and remove proximity effects and plosives from others.

Then stereo panning or screen location matching. And finally...The possibility of a reverb send from all the individual singers to one unifying reverb can get you more unity and density. It will be tedious. One of my studio assistants is doing one now for a Berklee community project and its a huge tedious labor intensive project. The key is lessening the weird nasty sounding out-liars and then making it sound pleasant, wide and unified. Good luck... its the new normal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Notable.com
AfricanUnderground.com
DemocracyinDakar.com
NomadicWax.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2020, 07:17 AM
DonaldM's Avatar
DonaldM DonaldM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,277
Default Re: Mixing a virtual choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by notable View Post
Use RX for all the crazy noise and tone issues of incoming poorly home recorded content. Some people will need reverb removed (nasty room and laptop screen reflections from omni laptop mics) and some will need reverb enhanced. RX has a reverb remover... so do sonible, accusonus, SPL, acon and zynaptic. I have not tried all of them but would love to compare them first hand and write a review. Then eqing to get weight for some and remove proximity effects and plosives from others.

Then stereo panning or screen location matching. And finally...The possibility of a reverb send from all the individual singers to one unifying reverb can get you more unity and density. It will be tedious. One of my studio assistants is doing one now for a Berklee community project and its a huge tedious labor intensive project. The key is lessening the weird nasty sounding out-liars and then making it sound pleasant, wide and unified. Good luck... its the new normal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the all helpful suggestions. I don't have RX yet. I think I need to look into though. In the one I did with a kids group, I used EQ on each individual track to deal as best I could with noise and rumble, etc. Then used a submix to add the unifying reverb and some additional overall EQ for the whole. It came out okay. But, I know it can be much better, too.



Appreciate the suggestions from you and Chizdee.
__________________
"Never believe anything you hear in a song." Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Owner: Dragon Rock Productions LLC
Dell XPS 435T/9000 Win-10 Pro 24gig RAM
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 AM
notable's Avatar
notable notable is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Watertown, MA, USA
Posts: 144
Default Re: Mixing a virtual choir

You are welcome! There are some amazing deals right now with plugins. Many software companies are being super kind to my students and have specials! Izotope, McDSP, Metric Halo, SoundToys... check them out. All super nice supportive companies with great products.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Notable.com
AfricanUnderground.com
DemocracyinDakar.com
NomadicWax.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2020, 09:29 AM
EGS's Avatar
EGS EGS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,759
Default Re: Mixing a virtual choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
... I don't have RX yet. I think I need to look into though...
RX is awesome
__________________
Desktop: PT 2020.5 / Win 10 / GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R / i7 hex 3.9GHz / 32GB / Focusrite LS56
Laptop: PT 2020.3 / Win 10 / HP ProBook / i7 quad / U-PHORIA UMC1820
Legacy: PT 5 & 6 / OS9 & OSX / Mac G4 / DIGI001
Click for demo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2020, 09:49 AM
DonaldM's Avatar
DonaldM DonaldM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,277
Default Re: Mixing a virtual choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
RX is awesome
I'm sure it is. Its just more than I can afford right now. I do want to get it at some point though. Thanks!
__________________
"Never believe anything you hear in a song." Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Owner: Dragon Rock Productions LLC
Dell XPS 435T/9000 Win-10 Pro 24gig RAM
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anybody used 3rd party virtual mixing consoles as front-end for lower latency? bashville Pro Tools 2018 6 05-03-2018 04:15 PM
Amazing Virtual Choir DonaldM General Discussion 2 04-17-2011 02:47 AM
Mixing a Choir jiagap 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 11 06-08-2003 11:39 AM
Is there a virtual mixing console for v 3.4? Thomsen General Discussion 1 03-12-1999 06:40 PM
Is there a virtual mixing console for v 3.4? Thomsen General Discussion 0 03-12-1999 04:27 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com