Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Broadcast Levels?

I recently mixed a 1 hour network doc. My spec sheet instructed my levels to average at 0vu using - 20db digital as a reference level out of protools, with digital peaks at -10. I mixed the show with the vo just barely kissing -10 digital and averaging at 0vu, and the dialogue tucked underneath that. The editor working on the project informed me that dialogue should never breach -14 digital, but I can't find anything in the specs that refers to this. My question is this, should I never let dialogue breach -14? If so does it matter that the average vu leve falls beneath 0.

thanks for any help
Old 09-26-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Broadcast Levels?

Follow your Spec Sheet, the editor is wrong.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 PM

If your 0VU=-20dbFS, then dialog at -10 is really hot! Your dialog should be cruising around -20 which would keep you averaging at 0VU. The reason for calibrating 0VU to -20dbFS is to give you 20db of headroom. This means shouting matches, car crashes, etc have room to be louder if necessary. Normal Voice Over should be well below your -10 peak. If your VO is hovering around -10 isn't your VO average needle totally pinned? Are you sure you calibrated properly?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:18 PM

vu needle is still riding at 0 never over +3 with an occasional peak barely hitting -10 on my limter in ProTools, -20 1ktone reads 0vu on the needles. The needles only seem to push hotter when I lean into the limter a little. But there was no music in the program just dialogue/VO. There is no standard that specifically says voice over should never peak over -14 is there? if there is I can't find it.

thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 01:18 PM

I agree, but I certainly don't think it can't go above -14. If you have a limiter in your chain you may want to check it.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
The editor working on the project informed me that dialogue should never breach -14 digital, but I can't find anything in the specs that refers to this. My question is this, should I never let dialogue breach -14? If so does it matter that the average vu leve falls beneath 0.
unless the editor is operating under the assumption that the show has to have no greater than 6 dB of dynamic range. which is what an editor told me the network wanted. so he said, nothing past -14. and he didn't want to hear from an audio guy about levels for broadcast! i said, fine, i'll give you what you want.

you may want to get the networks audio specs.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 PM

As far as I can read the network specs simply say average vu at 0 never over +3 with digital Peaks at -10. So as far as I can tell I followed that, My L2 has an out ceiling of -10 and hardly ever reads any attenuation, the show seemed to play fine and I never heard anything from the network, but still if I did do something wrong, or at least the editor made my client believe I did something wrong, I would want to make sure I didn't do it again. The editor told my clients -14 was standard operating procedure.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:44 PM

this is tricky. editors have the clients attention for much longer than we do. and if this editor has worked before with this client, then the client might tend to believe the editor over you. you'd THINK that the client would reason that audio people know the audio standards and video people the video standards and leave it at that.

i wonder if you can't find a private and respectful way of having a conversation with the editor so that you can be on the same page. find out why he or she believes that show peaks are to be -14. see if you can share the network specs. as much as you'd like to embarrass this editor by showing that he or she is wrong in front of the client, i would try to avoid that. if you get nowhere, you may have to just say, "fine" i'll give you what you ask for."

and then have a conversation with my editor
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-26-2005, 01:57 PM

thanks for the input
Old 09-26-2005, 01:57 PM

thanks for the input