Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 06:35 PM

Default Want to purchase a firewire drive...Expertise anyone?

I have the 001 on PC and am interested in getting a Firewire drive so I can move sessioons between my PC at home and Macs at school. I just upgraded to LE 5.1. I was told that I un fact, don't need Datavitz Mac opener, and all i have to do is check the Pc/Mac conversion box..I also will need a firewire card because I have no port on my M/B..Any expertise would apreciated..
Old 01-30-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Want to purchase a firewire drive...Expertise anyone?

voxpitch,
I'm using Firewire everyday for my audio drive on a PC. It works fine. I thik that track count won't possibly be quite as high as with a native ATAPI drive, but I'm not the least bit bothered by that. I have a 30GB Firewire backup drive also, so backups are painless.

I think you should check very carefully about compatibility of the underlying formating of the drive. I'm not at all sure that you can use even FAT32 and be compatible with a Mac. I hope someone here can help you with that part as I'd be interested in knowing.

Anyway, Firewire works fine. I love it.

Mark
Old 01-30-2002, 08:05 PM

I would recommend the Maxtor 3000DV. It is a 60 gig 7200 rpm drive and has worked very well for me for a number of months now.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:27 PM

MikeD,
Yep. That's a good one. Actually, the chip that's used in these things is by a company called Oxford Semiconductor. I called them and talked about drives when I put mine together. They said the 3000DV was the best one on the market at the time.

It uses a chip called the 911. I bought a drive kit at an online place that had kits that use the same 911 chip, and then just pluged in my working IDE audio drive. The system recognized everything just fine, and in 10 minutes I went from IDE to Firewire with no formatting or anything.

It was sort of fun!

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MikeD:
I would recommend the Maxtor 3000DV. It is a 60 gig 7200 rpm drive and has worked very well for me for a number of months now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-30-2002, 09:55 PM

HUSH drive...firewire....looks pretty sweet!! Check it out.

Cheers

Old 01-31-2002, 10:28 PM

Hey Kamurah, thanks for the link on the hush drive. Very cool. I remember reading about it somewhere a while back, but forgot all about that drive. Jogged my memory a bit. It it's right bout now I need one. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 10:39 PM

Thanks people..Yeah the HUSH drive looks very cool but slightly mor $ then I was hoping for..Has anyone checked out the QPS M3 60gig drive? And has anyone put a PCI IEEE 1384 card in their PC? I know nothing about them and they range from about $30-$70...Any other difference then the # of ports? (Quality of transfer or speed etc?) thanks!!