Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM

Default Re: BUG: Dead instrument tracks from older Pro Tools Sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
it's to do with VI's.. what Vi's do they use?
Lots! Kontakt (quite frankly the whole NI Komplete including Reaktor), Spectrasonics, U-He synths, etc. Pretty common to have 7-12 VIs loaded into the template.

If this is a bug, the Support Center is there for this so they can track down what is happening (and if it goes to a particular plugin.)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

If this is a bug, the Support Center is there for this so they can track down what is happening (and if it goes to a particular plugin.)
It's not as easy as this, because the bug is sporadic. I've tried and failed many times to create a recipe that will repro and - surprise surprise - it never fails when you try to make it. (This is the closest I've got so far: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397700 )

But this bug has happened for years. Ever since instrument tracks have been around. I'm also still getting it on 2018.3. It's a right pain in the neck. Maybe it doesn't happen on PCs?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
It's not as easy as this, because the bug is sporadic. I've tried and failed many times to create a recipe that will repro and - surprise surprise - it never fails when you try to make it. (This is the closest I've got so far: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397700 )

But this bug has happened for years. Ever since instrument tracks have been around. I'm also still getting it on 2018.3. It's a right pain in the neck. Maybe it doesn't happen on PCs?
I'm on PCs and I often experience this bug. For me it is as you describe, sporadic and impossible to reproduce. It does seem to happen a bit more often with EZ Drummer but I see it with Kontakt and others enough that I'm not convinced it's plugin specific.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Lots! Kontakt (quite frankly the whole NI Komplete including Reaktor), Spectrasonics, U-He synths, etc. Pretty common to have 7-12 VIs loaded into the template.

well i already did my bit so not sure why you telling me.. i reported to support ages ago...

I would say that your friends are simply very lucky, as this is the most common bug i have personally ever seen across every person i personally know locally that uses PT..

So in this case, it's more of why your friends' systems *aren't* doing it, I would say.
And that might be the key to solving it.

Maybe cause i have 756 plugins (waveshell is only seen as one when i do a finder count, so have to add 350 on top of that so 1K total)

it's too many for PT? This might have something to do with it?

I've already changed a computer since i first used PT, and also have it on my windows 7 laptop, so it did it on my first macbook, now on my macbook pro, my imac, and my win 7 laptop.. all 4 computers.. the windows 7 uses an mbox 3 USB, the macbook pro inbuilt audio but now an apollo twin, and the imac multiple apollo 8's.

All of the have done it.. Reload a project, and randomly a midi channel has all it's clips grey cause there is no vi connected..

Sometimes, everything just reloads and works.. But i am in the habit now of always scanning for grey clips and then looking at that channel's midi out.

The track that I was talking about before, using only 3 Vi's (all korg gadget AAX's), has not done it at all today. I have tried to reproduce it 20 times and failed. So there's that, too.. It's so unpredictable..
Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingtiger View Post
I'm on PCs and I often experience this bug. For me it is as you describe, sporadic and impossible to reproduce. It does seem to happen a bit more often with EZ Drummer but I see it with Kontakt and others enough that I'm not convinced it's plugin specific.
I find it really hard to believe that a studio has 4 computers that simply never do it, both macs and PC's. I just don't buy it.

Before that post, I had never known anyone who *hadn't* experienced it at least a few times.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I find it really hard to believe that a studio has 4 computers that simply never do it, both macs and PC's. I just don't buy it.

Before that post, I had never known anyone who *hadn't* experienced it at least a few times.
Well, I hope his friends are operating at a high level of awareness. I'm doing similar work and I nearly turned in a cue a couple of days ago that was missing a subtle percussion track that I hadn't realized had gone missing. Luckily I'm in the habit of double checking because I'm so used to this happening.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 04-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I find it really hard to believe that a studio has 4 computers
4 composers not 4 studios. One of those composers has 4 writing rooms alone. Whether you buy it or not doesn't matter.

Everyone else having this problem on this thread should be reporting it to the ASC. And you should get follow up emails/responses from Avid (HD people, within 48 hours.) Eventually, if this is so rampant, they should be able to reproduce it. That's the only way these things get fixed.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
4 composers not 4 studios. One of those composers has 4 writing rooms alone. Whether you buy it or not doesn't matter.

Everyone else having this problem on this thread should be reporting it to the ASC. And you should get follow up emails/responses from Avid (HD people, within 48 hours.) Eventually, if this is so rampant, they should be able to reproduce it. That's the only way these things get fixed.
as i said, i don't buy it.. as in, i don't think *they* are being honest with you. I know you are being honest with us.

I don't buy it cause it's a fact it happens to everyone at some point.. just as the sky is blue and the sun is hot.

In fact, it's so common, that if someone simply writes in any PT board, "my midi is greyed out on project reload and no sound for some tracks".. straight away the person gets an answer that it's a known bug.

After your post, i called everyone i locally know that uses PT 10 through 2018.. 20 different people, just to ask if it's happened to them the last week already.

100% yes. Almost all have reported it. Some got a reply saying it was a known issue and there is no timeline yet to fix it.

PS, i never said 4 studios.. have no idea where you got that from..
Old 04-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingtiger View Post
I'm on PCs and I often experience this bug. For me it is as you describe, sporadic and impossible to reproduce.
Just adding my +1

Its happened to me on almost every PC and Mac I've ever worked on since Pro Tools 6.x.

It's a known bug.

But we all knew that all ready.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 PM

As someone who uses MIDI a ton in Pro Tools, I also will chime in and say that I see this bug pop up quite often. As others have stated, it is sporadic and very hard to figure out why and when it will do it, but I have seen this happen a lot through the years. It has at least existed since Pro Tools 10.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio