How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-20-2018, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Strange bounce behavior 2018.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhammernz View Post
I am usually up to date with Slate stuff, but I will check. The fact it didnt happen several days later with the same set up was perplexing. If it was consistant I could have simply bypassed plugins until the problem disapeared. Appreciate all the input, better to know what I am dealing with. If I cant trust FGX then it’s outa there.
let me know how you go..

Since you say it's on every track and only happens on some (exactly what happened in Logic when it was acknowledged by Steven Slate on gearslutz) I will do a test of say 8 tracks all with FGX on them and bounce each one?

will a simple commit to a new track inside the project be sufficient? or do i need to bounce the whole mix? I'll do a commit for now and let you know. I just feel it has to be FGX cause you literally word for word described a known bug that only happens when FGX is in your project.

I just checked and i do have the latest installed via Gobbler..

BRB, cheers
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhammernz View Post
I am usually up to date with Slate stuff, but I will check. The fact it didnt happen several days later with the same set up was perplexing. If it was consistant I could have simply bypassed plugins until the problem disapeared. Appreciate all the input, better to know what I am dealing with. If I cant trust FGX then it’s outa there.

It doesn’t matter if you’re up to date. It will still happen. It’s a bug that hasn’t been fixed and more than likely won’t be until the mythical FG-X 2.0.

I created this video a while ago to show Steven as he said the bug was fixed and had no bug reports in his system about it.

https://youtu.be/-kqYV5ix7uo

Like I said earlier - either add a second silence before the audio in the session and trim the file post bounce, or just stop using it. But, if you’re using it on that many tracks, you’ll really change the sound of your mix, so option one will be the better solution.

Actually, you may be able to stick a time adjuster on your master fader with a long delay on it. Haven’t tried that, but it might mean you won’t need to shuffle any audio on the timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
It doesn’t matter if you’re up to date. It will still happen. It’s a bug that hasn’t been fixed and more than likely won’t be until the mythical FG-X 2.0.

I created this video a while ago to show Steven as he said the bug was fixed and had no bug reports in his system about it.

https://youtu.be/-kqYV5ix7uo

Like I said earlier - either add a second silence before the audio in the session and trim the file post bounce, or just stop using it. But, if you’re using it on that many tracks, you’ll really change the sound of your mix, so option one will be the better solution.

Actually, you may be able to stick a time adjuster on your master fader with a long delay on it. Haven’t tried that, but it might mean you won’t need to shuffle any audio on the timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahh ok thanks for that I won't even bother. Once a POS plugin, always a POS plugin.. Slate's worst hour by far.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
But, if you’re using it on that many tracks, you’ll really change the sound of your mix, so option one will be the better solution.
This wasn't a mixdown in the normal sense, it was a bounce of 10 separate music tracks each on their own track, to make one file of 10 songs in a row. FGX on each channel same settings on each, Console1 also on each channel so I could eq/compress individually, all other plugins on the master channel (Pro Limiter/Fabfilter ProL2 but no FGX there). Only the first two tracks were affected, something about those particular plugin settings perhaps or just a random thing. FGX is clearly the prime suspect, thanks for the info.

Les Paul Goldtop 1968 (from new)
www.larrykillip.com
Old 03-21-2018, 05:38 PM

This is a known bug with FG-X that it has always had that seems to happen at random. Just have to watch out for it and re-bounce. I've found that starting a bounce, then cancelling it, then immediately bouncing again seems to cure it.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 AM

I didn't read every single reply but I have always had the same issues with Slate FGX. I ONLY use it on my master bus for client approvals, it doesn't go on the bus that I send to mastering for that very reason. I can't trust it. Mid song, if there is a lull with no big transients, when the next big lift comes, it often misses the downbeat on one channel.

If they don't fix it soon I will have completely replaced my need for slate with UAD plugins and they will be loosing a monthly customer. It's a shame I was a huge fan but issues never seem to be non-existent..
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM

Oh it also adds random crunchy-ness on anything that has the top end rolled off.

IE. if a breakdown has a muted kick and piano, it can add HORRIBLE things to it. I find playing with the ITP fader can improve it but on a handful of occasions Ive had to opt out of using it at all.