How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Question Venue and Dante

Hi All,

I'm in the need of integrating a Profile system with a Dante network. For one, it seems there is a severe lack of digital i/o options for the stage rack compared to digico and yamaha, so even converting from another format into dante will be difficult. Currently it seems the best bet is the whirlwind pxp box and some aviom cards, which seems silly, but is less silly then plopping an 01V96 next to the stage rack and punishing our audio with that console's analog i/o. However I don't see that there is an Aviom input card, which actually takes out that possibility. So now I'm converting AES in and out? Any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Venue and Dante

I would hold out a little longer, as Avid are a member of the AVB group and seem committed to the scheme. Dante have stated that at the point the AVB group stuff is fully ratified, they will be compliant. This looks like it's going to be the way head for the industry over the next 10-15 years, Madi and proprietary systems will likely become less and less.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:20 PM

I was just reading about the MADI implementation, and realize it's even more obvious that they should be working on Dante as the slots in the FOH rack are not limited to 8ch of audio. So they would have an even more elegant solution than Yamaha or Digico. I'm happy to wait, except that I need a solution by July- the venue just bought a Profile that is a step up from the existing 5D, but I need to send and receive 16 or 32ch of audio to a remote position that currently is served by 2x cat5. Not to mention that we own the Dante cards for the DM1K already. I'd hate to have to sink into the MADI card and a PXP from Whirlwind, only to have the right solution come out within the next year

Thanks for the insight to AVB, it's encouraging.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 PM

I hope Avid will assign more resources into development of Live products. I'm checking Yamaha new desk specs and possible system configurations and it's like wow. They have been busy.... Networking solution, multiple desks can share stage racks, virtual sound card solution for recording without any hardware but a computer (Special Nuendo Live software version, 64 tracks), 2 track recording to memory stick, proper ipad control, console cascading, speaker control, the list goes on...