Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Default SXSW Film Festival

Hey Gang,
I was wondering if anyone from the audio post community was attending.
If you are, what film did you work on.
-Fletch
Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Re: SXSW Film Festival

I won't be there, but one of my films will: A NECESSARY DEATH "Documentary Filmmaker looking for suicidal individual to follow from first preparation to final act." - Cut from 142 video tapes, this project sheds light on the tragedy following the infamous internet ad.

http://www.anecessarydeath.com/

It's a good one

cheers
-andy
Old 03-05-2008, 11:03 AM

Andy,
I'll check it out....trailer looks interesting.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately, i won't be there, but 2 films i worked on are playing.

Goliath - http://goliathismissing.com/ - Narrative feature about a man going through a divorce, and loses his cat. (it's actually quite a bit more entertaining than it sounds )

and

'The Pleasure of being Robbed' - another narrative feature about a sort of kleptomaniac. <-- This one i only had about 10 hours to edit and mix... so you can imagine it's not particularly polished.

I would recommend checking out Goliath though, i really enjoyed it.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:06 PM

I can't make it either, but I worked on a great film called "Glory at Sea". It's a short narrative film about Katrina survivors told in the framework of the Orpheus myth. All the actors were actual Katrina survivors.
I'm used to working with the all the tools of a pro studio, so I was concerned that we were doing it all with LE in stereo; but it turned out quite well. The main challenge was working without automation write for eq plug-ins (3-fingered salute). If anyone knows a good work around please tell.

http://www.gloryatsea.com/

-Eric
Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 PM

You can do snapshot automation in LE if you have the DV Toolkit.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
You can do snapshot automation in LE if you have the DV Toolkit.
The next step. Thanks!

-Eric
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 PM

I worked on the film "Up With Me" http://www.harlemmovieproject.com, which won the Special Grand Jury Award for Best Ensemble cast in the Narrative Film Competition at SXSW this year. I was able to attend too. If your still out there, check it out. I believe there is one more screening left on Saturday afternoon.
This is a narrative about a group of kids in Harlem, and there life there. The unique aspect of this film is that the kids cast in the film, come from a youth group in Harlem and helped write the story and play themselves in the film. Most of the actors are untrained or have a little bit of acting experience. But there performances were stellar. This is a very talented project, and I was so proud to be a part of it. I highly recommend it to anyone who's still out at SXSW to check it out.

-Peter Price
Syrcular
Music | Sound Design | Audio Post
www.syrcular.com
Old 03-13-2008, 04:30 PM

Wasn't able to make it, but my first ever feature had its world premiere in the narrative features competition - "Paper Covers Rock." Definitely a scrappy (and grueling) effort done pro-bono (gotta get experience, right?)... Would have loved to be able to see (ahem, HEAR!) it in a theater...

Maybe next time. Or next festival.

--Joel
Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 AM

Update:
I went to the festival to see the doc I mixed ("The Matador") and wouldn't you know it they completely screwed up the playback.
The "theater" was calibrated wrong and the center channel might as well have been turned off. The dialog was so low you could barely hear it. The only saving grace was that the film was subtitled in English. Very disappointing to say the least. The offical response was "yeah we've been having audio problems with this theater". Super, Fantastic, Great!!
Anyway I did see some good flicks and Austin is a great town.
Better luck next time.
PS - On a simular note I heard that the opening night film "21" had equally bad audio problems in the Paramount Theater which should have been set up for 5.1 because it is a movie theater (my flick palyed at the convention center). Oh well maybe we should just mix everything in mono.
--Fletch