Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 AM

Default Many Kontakt (or xpand) instances. Instrument input disconnection

Hi everyone.
I use PT for composing music for media.
Lately (with the track folders) I started to make my templates straight in protools.
My orchestral template is about 250 tracks. One kontakt instance for each family or library.
Sometimes (randomly) all the INPUT in the INSTRUMENT TRACKS get disconnected from their respective kontakt. (grayed out)
My guess is that PROTOOLS creates an unique secuencial ID for each instance and sometimes if the kontakt tracks are not loaded in the same order, the IDs change (for some reason) making the INSTRUMENT INPUT inexistent.

I read that many people has a similar problem.
Is there any solution ?
It is possible to NAME each instance of kontakt instead of getting that secuencial number ??

or my only option is to host all the kontakt in VEP ?

THanks!
Dan ZLotnik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.52.11 PM.jpg (55.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Many Kontakt (or xpand) instances. Instrument input disconnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzlotnik View Post
Hi everyone.
Lately (with the track folders) I started to make my templates straight in protools.
My orchestral template is about 250 tracks. One kontakt instance for each family or library.
Sometimes (randomly) all the INPUT in the INSTRUMENT TRACKS get disconnected from their respective kontakt. (grayed out)
My guess is that PROTOOLS creates an unique secuencial ID for each instance and sometimes if the kontakt tracks are not loaded in the same order, the IDs change (for some reason) making the INSTRUMENT INPUT inexistent.

Is there any solution ?
It is possible to NAME each instance of kontakt instead of getting that secuencial number ??

THanks!
Dan ZLotnik
VEP is always a good solution for carrying VI loads that PT struggles with.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Is there any solution ?

THanks!
Dan ZLotnik
Sequential numbering has nothing to do with this issue. Is (for instance) the Kontakt instance that contains the instruments for said section still active? Do you have Kontakt properly setup for multiple audio outputs? It's not all that easy for someone that's doing it for the first time. NI's instructions on that can be misleading.

QAPLA!
Old 03-09-2021, 05:16 PM

Kontakt has 16 outs as default in all possible plugin format.
Each output is assigned to a different instrument track (in the INPUT of the track)
It works great but sometimes the input gets disconnected. Weirdly enough the MIDI out keeps the connection to the right kontakt instance and channel.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Kontakt has 16 outs as default in all possible plugin format.
Each output is assigned to a different instrument track (in the INPUT of the track)
It works great but sometimes the input gets disconnected. Weirdly enough the MIDI out keeps the connection to the right kontakt instance and channel.
16 mono or 8 stereo outputs as default in PT. You have to do some work to get 16 stereo outs in PT. I worked up a special output.cfg file to get 16 stereo outs; NI's instructions are not easy to follow and not quite a cookbook on how to do it.

QAPLA!