Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Manually adding warp markers (not drums)

Is there any way of manually putting in warp markers on all beats (or even bar downbeats). i.e., on the grid.

I have some very fluid live strings that I need to bring into a new recording of the same song, but which has a different tempo/tempo map. I see how to get it to work, but because the strings are basically just a lot of long held notes and melody lines, I'm not getting any accurate warp markers if they're inserted automatically.

I can do them one by one manually, but wondering if there's an automatic work-around.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Manually adding warp markers (not drums)

Nothing automatic is going to work with any music that does not have defined transients(like strings or distorted guitars). The trick for distorted guitars is to record a DI alongside the distorted guitar(make a group of the 2 tracks and leave the DI track muted). The DI track will have all the transients so EA will read them well(and using a group allows you to adjust the 2 together). No trick for your live strings. Manually dropping and placing markers is all you can do

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM

You can add in warp mode. I'm not at my computer right now but it should be in the manual.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
You can add in warp mode. I'm not at my computer right now but it should be in the manual.
Add automatically on a grid?

I've spent a lot of time with warp markers (haven't we all ...), but I've yet to come across how you can automatically place/create warp markers on beats, irrespective of the material.

EA is designed around transients, but if there are no transients then ...?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
No trick for your live strings. Manually dropping and placing markers is all you can do
Thanks. Yes, know about guitars, have used it often. More often than I'd like.

Not being able to automatically add markers on a grid, or have them automatically follow a grid seems like an oversight to me. We need an "insert warp markers on grid" function!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 PM

You could create a group with track "X" and a printed click track.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing181 View Post
Add automatically on a grid?

I've spent a lot of time with warp markers (haven't we all ...), but I've yet to come across how you can automatically place/create warp markers on beats, irrespective of the material.

EA is designed around transients, but if there are no transients then ...?
His initial ask is if he can manually add them. He changed to automatic at the end. I didn't see that part.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing181 View Post
Is there any way of manually putting in warp markers on all beats (or even bar downbeats). i.e., on the grid.

I have some very fluid live strings that I need to bring into a new recording of the same song, but which has a different tempo/tempo map. I see how to get it to work, but because the strings are basically just a lot of long held notes and melody lines, I'm not getting any accurate warp markers if they're inserted automatically.

I can do them one by one manually, but wondering if there's an automatic work-around.

What if you grouped them all with a track that has only a click on the downbeat (or whatever you want to set warp markers at). Set elastic sensitivity to 0% on all of the string tracks and then group them together and quantize on the downbeat at 1%.

Also, in my experience of doing the same thing you are saying, Pro Tools seems to automatically add warp markers anywhere there is a tempo change in the ruler. I thought this was done on the downbeats of measures as kind of a different looking analysis marker. I'll have to go back and check.

Finally, maybe you will just get better results if you adjust the sensitivity in clips-elastic properties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
What if you grouped them all with a track that has only a click on the downbeat (or whatever you want to set warp markers at). Set elastic sensitivity to 0% on all of the string tracks and then group them together and quantize on the downbeat at 1%.

Also, in my experience of doing the same thing you are saying, Pro Tools seems to automatically add warp markers anywhere there is a tempo change in the ruler. I thought this was done on the downbeats of measures as kind of a different looking analysis marker. I'll have to go back and check.

Finally, maybe you will just get better results if you adjust the sensitivity in clips-elastic properties.

Oh. And then turn back up the sensitivity slider to a reasonable amount. (Usually around 90-95% for me)

160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Yes, that's what happened. In the end, manually put in the markers - not so many tracks, or too many bars. But when I brought the tracks into the new session, Pro Tools added another batch of new markers on the tempo changes (and there were a lot, as this was a live track, so we had a tempo change every bar effectively).

I manually stripped those out, but then it wouldn't Conform Tempo - well, it would, but results were weird and all over the place. So in the end, I just manually moved things round a bit, and then used Time Stretch for the few parts that were out - this given that Pro Tools had done the bulk of the work in converting the overall tempos, so the tracks were already close, they just didn't follow the tempo variations.

But thanks for the suggestions - I'll finish this now, and when I get a moment, go back and experiment to see if there's not an automated process that works.