Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Default I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW

Made sure mbox was set to mic/line and not Di for the mic line in the back of mbox mini 3. I have gain nob at 12 in fact it picks up sound if I tap mic or speak into it.... but not in DAW..... My mix nob hard left... Placed audio in session it plays back fine through headphones and monitors. No signal on faders for mic input 1. I don't have anything hooked to the mbox on input 2 however in fruity loops when I change i/o to input 2 it reads a small signal.... Tried same thing in pro tools.... Nothing. It shouldn't even read a signal at all on input 2 cause it isn't anything plugged in on that input.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 AM

Default Re: I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please help!!

Having problems with mbox mini 3 and microphone. Its being detected as line input 1/2 in windows 7 on the recording tab in sounds options and I can hear myself through the monitors and headphones but it doesn't give a signal or pick up any sound in any DAW.... Not pro tools 10 or fruity loops or audacity.... It was working fine for two years now all of a sudden I'm having issues... As a matter of fact we just recorded with it the same day this issue came up. Since then haven't been able to solve. Yes phantom power on. Yes set i/o to defaults.... Yes uninstalled and reinstalled drivers old ones and new ones. Even reinstalled avid HD driver for pro tools. Also dumped prefs.... I'm stumped.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Re: I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please help!!

I also tried different cables... These only thing I can't try is a new interface.... Anyone?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:20 PM

Turn your mix knob to the right. Hard right to hear just the playback, 12:00 to hear both the playback and the mic inputs together.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Thank you for responding. Yes, I have turned the mix knob. Left, right and to the middle. I can hear the audio I've imported to the session fine. There just isn't signal coming into faders. I can arm track and record but nothing gets recorded. Ive tried it in fruity loops and audacity with the same results.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Let me see if I can be more clear. I can speak into the mic. I can hear through the headphones and monitors. But.... That same input signal "which is my voice when i speak into the mics stops short and doesn't enter any of the programs I want to record in....
Old 10-30-2014, 01:31 PM

No input level on track faders....zero. Also if I load another session that is finished I get an error saying my inputs have changed and all the input 1 where the mic was connected .....get grayed out...
Old 10-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Go into Input/Output settings and change them back to default. It looks like something got changed somewhere along the line if the finished session has a problem also.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 PM

You only ever hear yourself in the mic via the interface's hardware monitoring right? Not if you turn the hardware monitor level fully down.

And what exact inputs on the interface are you trying to record from in your DAW?

e.g. In Pro Tools what is your playback engine set to? (go look, don't assume) What is the track input set to? Post clear/readable screenshots if you can.

Sounds quite likely that you have the wrong playback engine selected.

What are your exact OS version, driver version, DAW version? Where is your Sandra report? We should not have to ask for this. Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and every other DUC web page.

Is your system fully optimized for Pro Tools (even if you are not running Pro Tools -- especially have you disabled power management and USB power management and careful never to let the computer sleep/suspend with the interface connected and powered on?)

What have you tried to do? Reboot the PC? Uninstall/reinstall drivers? Check optimizations? What else?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 AM

So I uninstalled the drivers for the mbox 3 mini in system hardware and the program software. As soon as I did that, windows installed it's on driver for the mbox. I can confirm that because I went back into system hardware and looked at driver details and the driver was a windows one. I didn't think that was possible. It told me to restart and I did. I went into control panel and sound and devices and thats where I saw the mbox had been changed from a line in\out to a mic input... and guess what there was a small amount of signal on the mic fader, however it didn't matter how loud I talked into the mic the signal only moved a little bit... So i decided to open Audacity because it's quick with loading and try to record my voice. Well I was able to record my voice however i did have to get all the way up on the mic for it to pick up the signal..... So I closed Audacity and opened pro tools. I have asio4all installed. Asio4all wasn't installed when this promblem first happened... I am aware that the mbox drivers already include asio drivers Any who... So in pro tools I was getting a small input signal however it never went pass -60 on the faders no matter how loud I was... I only had a mono track open and a master fader... I went to record and I only received small impressions of audio distorted sound on the track....and only static frequencies played on play back. In pro tools playback engine asio4all was selected. As soon as I selected mbox mini, pro tools prompted me to restart which I did and when I reopened it, it said it needed an active input and output. Which lead me to believe I needed to install the mbox drives back so the mbox could talk to pro tools.. so that is what I did...and as soon as I had the drivers for the mbox installed and re-opened pro tools I was back to square one. No input signal at all with track armed or recording. Playback engine was set to mbox.

So I then opened the hardware settings for Asio4all and from what I saw Im thinking the mbox is the issue. In those settings if I hover over the audio device included with the pc I saw it had two lines a "in" and an "out" both were idle but the "in" said capture. When I hovered over the mbox it had two lines one in and one out and it said both were active but the "in" didn't have capture beside it...

So I think there is an issue with the actual mbox. It's fine for output..but somewhere along the line the input "when using avid drivers" doesn't capture anything. And it barely captures with windows drivers installed in non pro tools applications.