Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 PM

Smile Getting the Virtual Keyboard properly connected

I have a question that is probably very silly, but I've been reading manuals and searching the internet for 6 hours straight to find an answer.

I'm running PT LE 8 with an MBOX 2 on Vista.

Now, I want to get a Virtual Keyboard (I have VMK 1.6 Win) to work as a synthesizer for Pro Tools MIDI files.

I downloaded Maple 'Virtual Media Cable' and set the output for VMK as 'Maple port 1'. The input is set as nothing. In Pro Tools, Setup > Midi > Input Devices, I selected 'Maple port 1' also.

In my instrument track, I have Xpand2 1-1 running, and my input midi selector in instruments is set to the Maple port 1.

Now, when I click record and key notes into my VMK synthesizer, nothing comes out at all or records in the Instrument track. I can drag sounds in there with the pencil tool, but that's all.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to sync a synthesizer and Pro Tools inputs?

I've also tried with Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard (VMPK), however when I set Maple Virtual Media Cable as the output, the error message reads "error sending MIDI message". Then, when I go back to the settings, the MIDI message has changed back to 'Microsoft GS Wavetable synth' (Have no idea what this is).

Please help, I've tried my hardest to work this out on my own, quite complex for the beginner.