Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins

Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM

Default CPU usage holding off when samples plugins loaded

I will appreciate a lot any help from any who's been in my same issue.

I'm new in the midi samples recording. I just bought some EWQL samples (Symphonic Orchestra Platinum and Goliath). So when i loaded them as a plugin into my Pro Tools Express (newest version) sequencer, can't let me even play anything, neither record, so when i hit the play button, pup ups the "CPU usage is holding off USB audio, increase playback engine or eliminate plugins" error window.

I am thinking the problem is my computer, i have a MacBook Pro 13" late '12, Intel core i7, 8gb RAM and 750gb - 5400rpm HD.
If my system requirements is to low for this samples and more, please help me with any recommendations of increasing my HD, my RAM, etc.. before i spend money in something that isn't the problem.

Thank you for you're time and support, regards.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Default Re: CPU usage holding off when samples plugins loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredogzz View Post
I will appreciate a lot any help from any who's been in my same issue.

I'm new in the midi samples recording. I just bought some EWQL samples (Symphonic Orchestra Platinum and Goliath). So when i loaded them as a plugin into my Pro Tools Express (newest version) sequencer, can't let me even play anything, neither record, so when i hit the play button, pup ups the "CPU usage is holding off USB audio, increase playback engine or eliminate plugins" error window.

I am thinking the problem is my computer, i have a MacBook Pro 13" late '12, Intel core i7, 8gb RAM and 750gb - 5400rpm HD.
If my system requirements is to low for this samples and more, please help me with any recommendations of increasing my HD, my RAM, etc.. before i spend money in something that isn't the problem.

Thank you for you're time and support, regards.
WHY is Nobody reading the Help Us Help You - Read This BEFORE Posting!?

Link: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Is there a blatant disregard for this great information or are new (and not so new) members Not seeing that link properly as it is atleast not the first thing I see when arriving here on the forum so maybe, just maybe the Mods needs to rectify this so it doesn't have to be posted by members everytime these questions comes up and they do come up A LOT so .. Just a thought ..

And to Alfredogzz : your computer is NOT compatible with the Hard drive you have and you need atleast one more drive for audio and BOTH needs to be atleast 7200 rpm and seeing that you overlooked this there are probably more things wrong with your setup so please read the post on the link above in this post and do all those optimizations before asking what is wrong with your setup and come back here when you done everything correctly. If it still doesn't work we will take it from there :)
Good Luck and come back soon

Best // Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————

Last edited by Southsidemusic; 03-28-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: link was missing and is the correct one now
Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM

Indeed^^^. At the very least, you NEED an approved 7200 rpm drive for your sessions(leave the EW stuff on the system drive). Better yet would be replacing the system drive with an SSD(or a 7200 rpm spinner) in addition to the recording drive. Right now, you have a huge sample-based plugin installed on a 5400 rpm drive(too slow) AND you are trying to record to that drive(too slow AND overtaxed by the sample VI).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
WHY is Nobody reading the Help Us Help You - Read This BEFORE Posting!?

Link: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Is there a blatant disregard for this great information or are new (and not so new) members Not seeing that link properly as it is atleast not the first thing I see when arriving here on the forum so maybe, just maybe the Mods needs to rectify this so it doesn't have to be posted by members everytime these questions comes up and they do come up A LOT so .. Just a thought ..

And to Alfredogzz : your computer is NOT compatible with the Hard drive you have and you need atleast one more drive for audio and BOTH needs to be atleast 7200 rpm and seeing that you overlooked this there are probably more things wrong with your setup so please read the post on the link above in this post and do all those optimizations before asking what is wrong with your setup and come back here when you done everything correctly. If it still doesn't work we will take it from there :)
Good Luck and come back soon

Best // Chris
I apologize, i had not found this info in the duc before, but with this help, i've solved the problem, although i want to thank you for your suggestion to buy a appropriate HD, that was my real concern in this thread.
Regards.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Indeed^^^. At the very least, you NEED an approved 7200 rpm drive for your sessions(leave the EW stuff on the system drive). Better yet would be replacing the system drive with an SSD(or a 7200 rpm spinner) in addition to the recording drive. Right now, you have a huge sample-based plugin installed on a 5400 rpm drive(too slow) AND you are trying to record to that drive(too slow AND overtaxed by the sample VI).
Thank you so much Albee for your support, this is the exact info i was looking for.
To sum up, you recommend me to change my internal HD to a SSD or 7200 rpm HD. Now my question is, with this modification, can i have pro tools sessions, plugins and everything in this new internal HD? or do you recommend to have only the pro tools sessions in the new internal HD and use an additional external one for plugins or vice versa?
Because i was thinking to change my internal HD and use my actual 5400 rpm HD to be the external one, so is not wasted. is this correct?
Regards.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredogzz View Post
Thank you so much Albee for your support, this is the exact info i was looking for.
To sum up, you recommend me to change my internal HD to a SSD or 7200 rpm HD. Now my question is, with this modification, can i have pro tools sessions, plugins and everything in this new internal HD? or do you recommend to have only the pro tools sessions in the new internal HD and use an additional external one for plugins or vice versa?
Because i was thinking to change my internal HD and use my actual 5400 rpm HD to be the external one, so is not wasted. is this correct?
Regards.
You need two drives, a drive for boot/system and VI samples and a separate drive for audio sessions. Make sure you read and understand this... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en422335.

If mine I would open up the MacBook and replace the 5,400 RPM slowwww.... as hell drive with a unbelievably fast and zippy Samsung 840 Pro SSD. SSDs are actually so fast you _might_ get away with just one drive but its not recommended. You are various choices for the audio/session drive with external SSD or HDD using Firewire 800 (make sure the drive has an Oxford chipset) or Thunderbolt but again if it was mine I'd replace the internal optical Superdrive with a second Samsung 840 Pro on an adapter sled (available from OWC and others).

You cannot/should not use the 5,400 drive as an external audio drive. Audio drives need to be 7,200 rpm or faster or an SSD drive. The 5,400 rpm drive is maybe useful as a backup/archive device.

Make sure you enable TRIM on the SSDs using the third party Trim Enabler Tools (http://www.groths.org/trim-enabler/) and only format the partition drive at about 80% of the raw SSD size (for performance and drive life reasons).

Darryl
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Waw! i'll definitely going to consider this very much. Definitely the SSD is the one.
Thank you so very much Darryl for all this recommendations, now i'm understanding well everything.
Regards.