Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Default The Grand 2 on Mac Pro Tools LE

Hi everyone,

today I got my new Mac. It came with OSX 10.4.9, of which I know it is currently not officially supported. I installed Pro Tools LE 7.1.1cs2, and it seem to work so far.
Next I wanted to try The Grand 2. I installed it and also applied the latest patch 2.3.0.something.
The Grand 2 runs fine as Standalone, although it kind of confuses me that the selection box for the audio driver is labled "ASIO Driver" although it also lists and works with the Core Audio driver of my Mbox2.

Now the problem is that in Pro Tools, The Grand 2 does not appear as a selectable plug-in / instrument. Did I miss out something here ? It worked on Windows.
Could this be a problem caused by OSX 10.4.9 which is not supported ? Or does The Grand 2 not work in ReWire mode on a Mac ? Anyone working with The Grand 2 on Mac ?

Regards,

Chri
Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: The Grand 2 on Mac Pro Tools LE

I don't have that plug-in, but perhaps it's stereo only and you tried to insert it on a mono track?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:36 AM

Thank you for this suggestion. I double checked the stereo/mono issue, but it seems this is not the problem. Still there is no The Grand 2 (ReWire) entry, and still I have no idea why it doesn't show.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 PM

I recommend Synthology Ivory, if you've got the hops.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:06 AM

I definitely want to give Ivory a try. But now that I have bought The Grand 2 I need to make it work in my rig.

Is there anyone who has The Grand 2 working in Pro Tools on a Mac ?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Ok, I give up, didn't find a way to fix this.

I decided to try to install OSX 10.4.8 instead of the 10.4.9 that came with my Mac.
Is there a way for me to get 10.4.8 if 10.4.9 came with my System ?
What will happen to my BootCamp Partitions if I reinstall ?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:49 PM

I finally solved the problem !

It seems the problem was caused by ReWire not being properly installed.
Although during the installation process of The Grand 2, ReWire is installed, it probably didn't get installed correctly without noticing.
The idea that allowed me to find that out was to install another ReWire Application to test if ReWire worked at all. And what would be the best choice for that if not Reason Adapted which is made by the creator of the ReWire protocol.
Reason Adapted also wants to install the latest ReWire during its installation process. But the installer aborted with an error message saying that it had no write access to the global Application Support folder.
Although my Mac OS knowledge is very little, because I own a Mac for only 4 days now, I managed to activate the root account, log in as root and run the installation process from there.
The installation was successful, and guess what: After logging back in as a normal user, The Grand 2 (ReWire) finally showed up in the Pro Tools plug-in list .

I still don't really know, why the ReWire installed by The Grand 2 installer didn't work, since it had asked for administrator privileges and also copied a couple of files into the global Application Support folder.

So, if anyone runs into the same problem as I did, I recommend installing Reason Adapted (3.05 for me), to get a proper installation of ReWire.

Now the next problem is that totally messy The Grand 2 update 2.3.0.450 I installed, which features several borken piano key mappings (three keys of the Model 2 are mapped with 2 different pitched samples, and one key of each model only gives a hammer sound, but no string ...).
Don't know if I will anytime again buy a Steinberg plug-in ...