Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2010, 05:33 AM

Default Could someone give me a bit of technical help?

Hello all, I'm completely new to recording and M-Audio programs so apologies for any stupid questions in advance.

I thought I'd move from the playing realm into the recording realm with my guitar since I've created a few licks, riffs and what not. Bought an M-Audio Fast Track interface and it came with Pro Tools M-Powered Essential (the fact that they've basically just bundled a 'demo' version of the proper recording software with it doesn't annoy me as much as I thought it would do since I was half expecting, and to be honest if I really get into this recording lark I'll more than likely spend the £120 to upgrade to the full version but still...) it but I can't seem to get it to record my electric guitar.

Probably doesn't make any difference but I'm using a PC.

I've been trying the following steps to try and record my guitar but they aren't working:

1. Create a new audio track
2. Select the correct input in the mix window (mono input 2 for guitar)
3. Press the record enable button
4. Press the record button on the transport window
5. Press play and start playing
6. Press stop
7. Listen to what has been recorded

Ok now a couple of things here. Firstly, when I create a new audio track and switch the input to input 2 in the mix window, there is absolutely no incoming guitar signal going to the audio track. The only way I can get a visible guitar signal on the level monitor is by creating an 'instrument track' rather than a mono 'audio track'.

I didn't really think using an instrument track would work, but I thought I'd give it a go just in case. I have an incoming signal being displayed on the mix window, and on the edit window next to the newly created instrument track. I press enable recording, then I press record, then I press play and start playing. I press stop, nothing appears but a completely blank 'audio segment' in the middle of the track. I half expected this however

So my question is, why is Pro Tools not recording my guitar input? If I am supposed to be using an audio track, why is no incoming guitar signal being displayed on the level monitor? I have input 2 selected as you should do for an electric guitar and I can get an input when using an instrument track, just not an audio track. I am quite perplexed.

The user guides that came with the Fast Track are rubbish, the thing is branded as being an easy way to record guitar and yet the only thing the guide shows you how to do is record your voice. I've tried following those steps with an audio track and input 2 instead of input 1 for my guitar but to no avail. If the M-Audio pdf guides are widely renowned to be rubbish (I wouldn't know, I'm new to this), can someone point me in the direction of a good, simple community guide?

I'm happy to admit that I know basically nothing about recording so sorry for any stupid questions. Also, as far as I understand how all this works the guitar and equipment I'm using shouldn't matter whatsoever but just in case it does I have a Maverick SF-1 Streetfighter and am using Planet Waves guitar cables. I'm not using any pedals, or seperate pre-amps, the guitar is plugged directly into the M-Audio Fast Track interface on input 2 (the middle 1/4 inch input with a guitar symbol over the top). I also have a Yamaha Clavinova I am planning to record also after I have worked out how the hell to get this thing set up!!

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Could someone give me a bit of technical help?

Creating an audio track and choosing the correct input is fine. But to view the incoming signal, you have to record enable this track (the little "r"-button next to "solo" and "mute" - it should go red).
Then you might have to hit option+k to switch on input monitoring. Now you should see the input signal in the meter, and hear it, if you chose the right output. To record, you have to press cmd+space. From that point on you will be able to see what you are recording in the track, otherwise you did something wrong.
(The key commands might not work for you, since I don't know if M-Powered uses the same as the other PT-versions).

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Could someone give me a bit of technical help?

Good info above. Then learn how and why you need the MIX knob.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave