Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-29-2020, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Mbox2 pro macOS High Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoover View Post
Greeting!

I recently wanted to get my old MBOX2 Pro running and need the advise of the forum. I used to run this on a Mac Pro but would like to convert to running this on a Mac Mini Mid 2010 since it has firewire and USB. I have a firewire 400 to 800 adapter cable. The Mac Mini is running High Sierra 10.13.6. I have my original CDs for ProTools 8.0 LE and the iLok USB key. A step by step guide would be appreciated or a link to instructions.

The MBOX2 Pro powers up when connected to the power supply and the green power light is flashing green when connected to the Mac Mini firewire.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

Al
Unfortunately, you're pretty much on your own here as 8LE was last qualified for Leopard and Snow Leopard. Not to mention, the later versions of the Mbox2 Pro driver may not be compatible with 8LE.

Since Mac Minis don't have a CD drive, you can download the installers from here. I would download the 8.0.3 full installer and the 8.0.5 updater.

The driver is available here. Though IIRC, the compatible driver is installed along with 8LE.

Here's a thread about what you're trying to do.

Something you should consider is reformatting the OS drive and installing the earliest OS that will run on it. I believe the 2010 Mac Mini came with Snow Leopard from the factory.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 PM

James:

I'm a bit confused. My Mid 2010 Mac Mini has an Apple SuperDrive DVD/CD drive so loading from a CD/DVD is not an issue.

Are you saying that there is a driver for High Sierra 10.13.6 that is compatible with the MBOX2 Pro using its firewire interface?

Is there a later version of Pro Tools LE than Pro Tools 8.0 LE that would run on the Mac Mini with High Sierra 10.13.6 using the MBOX2 Pro that I could reasonable update to?

Thanks for any guidance!

Al
2 LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 1.5TB FW800 <-> FW800 Port
1 LaCie D2 Big Disk Extreme 1.0TB FW800 <-> FW800 Port
DBX 286A Mic Preamp/Proc
Neumann U87 Ai
EV RE27 N/D Mic
Sonamp 260 JBL Control 28
Old 01-29-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoover View Post
James:

I'm a bit confused. My Mid 2010 Mac Mini has an Apple SuperDrive DVD/CD drive so loading from a CD/DVD is not an issue.

Are you saying that there is a driver for High Sierra 10.13.6 that is compatible with the MBOX2 Pro using its firewire interface?

Is there a later version of Pro Tools LE than Pro Tools 8.0 LE that would run on the Mac Mini with High Sierra 10.13.6 using the MBOX2 Pro that I could reasonable update to?

Thanks for any guidance!

Al

Download the drivers and software. You won’t be receiving anything on disc.

As TopJimmy mentioned, you should downgrade that machine to Snow Leopard and run the MBox and PT8 on that OS. They are seriously out of date and the likelihood of them working on High Sierra is VERY slim.

If you need that OS for other reasons, partition the drive and create a dual boot system - one for PT and one for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 09:33 PM

Perhaps, I should consider upgrading to a replacement for the MBOX2 PRO and a more modern version of PT that would run on Windows 10 or Mac OS 10.15.3.? What would be recommended? Does the maker of the MBOX2 PRO (DIGIDESIGN) make a bundle with PT like when I purchased the MBOX2 PRO?

Thanks,

Al
2 LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 1.5TB FW800 <-> FW800 Port
1 LaCie D2 Big Disk Extreme 1.0TB FW800 <-> FW800 Port
DBX 286A Mic Preamp/Proc
Neumann U87 Ai
EV RE27 N/D Mic
Sonamp 260 JBL Control 28
Old 01-29-2020, 09:40 PM

No they don’t.

You might wanna do some reading on the AVID website and see how Pro Tools has subscription and perpetual offerings. Lots of info.

As of PT9, you can use any third party audio interface with Pro Tools, assuming the device has drivers for the OS.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 10:46 PM

And Digidesign is Avid since 1995 so if you want a complete solution look at what Avid has in regards to interfaces.

I personally would look at Focusrite since I get a feeling you dont need anything high end and Focusrite has good interfaces around the 300 usd mark and upwards. They work and sound great and compared to Mboxes it will probably blow your mind how far things have come on the home user market.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollinaire View Post
I am not OP, but I received a used Mbox 2 Pro today and managed to get it running on macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra. I will describe what I did in order to get it working:

First, I plugged in the Mbox 2 Pro and then installed the Legacy 10.3.3 driver. During installation, there was a security alert saying that I needed to approve the driver in System Preferences > Security & Privacy. I opened it and pressed the button that appeared there to approve the driver. The installation continued after a couple of minutes, and then the system restarted.
Now, this is where I was briefly disappointed: the Mbox 2 Pro appeared in System Report under Firewire, but it did not appear in the Preferences panel, nor MIDI Audio Setup.

I figured that perhaps because I plugged it in before driver installation, or that perhaps because of the security interruption during installation, these actions may have caused an issue. So I did the following:

1. Unplugged the Mbox 2 Pro from Firewire.
2. Deleted the Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro preference pane from System Preferences (right-click to delete).
3. Ran the Mbox 2 Pro 10.3.3 driver disc image and re-installed the drivers. System Preferences did not interrupt with a security request this time.
4. Once the installer restarted the MacBook Pro, I plugged in the Mbox 2 Pro right when it went dark, before the startup chime.
5. Mbox 2 Pro lights came on, it appeared in Audio MIDI Setup and I was able to configure to 24/96. Working beautifully!

I hope this helps you with issues. I am very happy I worked it out because I won my Mbox 2 Pro in an auction for 99’.

In case it's helpful for someone, I can add that earlier today, I used the same detailed procedure posted by Apollinaire on 2018-05-07 (thanks!), and was able to get my Mbox 2 Pro working with my 2019 iMac running macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). My experience was essentially the same that he described.

In my case, the Mbox 2 Pro is connected to the iMac using a 400-800 Firewire adapter into the Firewire 800 port on my OWC Thunderbolt 3 13-port Dock. I was able to confirm that the Mbox 2 Pro input was working properly with several applications.

During subsequent use, I found that the iMac will crash and reboot (benignly) due to a Firewire exception if the computer goes to sleep with the external hardware connected and powered on, or if the external hardware is powered off or on. Once the computer is running with the external hardware connected and operating, the system seems stable. Based on this evidence, I recommend powering up the external hardware and then (re)booting the connected computer, and shutting down the computer before powering off the external hardware. The computer seems to recover easily from the exception crash, but I prefer to avoid unexpected restarts.

Last edited by RadPro; 07-31-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Update