Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 AM

Default Using an AUX Bus for guitar amps

I know it's a common practice to set up Busses to run effects such as Vox EQ's, Reverb, Delay, D-esser, etc. But If I'm looking for multiple tracks of guitar, can I (or should I) set up a Bus with the amp plug-in inserted and then route my tracks to the Bus to Process the signal rather than inserting the same amp plug-in with the same settings into 4 different tracks? I use Guitar Rig 4 and typically I'm not adjusting my amp settings differently for each guitar, and I always double each guitar part to add depth. So if I have two guitar "lines" in a rhythm, I'll use 4 tracks. I think I'm bogging down due to me plugging-in the Guitar Rig to each one of those tracks.

Does it make sense to set up a Bus for this situation?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Using an AUX Bus for guitar amps

If your machine is really getting bogged down, and you are certian that you love the settings on Guitar Rig, you could always save the setting as a preset, then highlight the tracks and audiosuite them. This way, you won't need the four instances of Guitar Rig anymore...heck, you wouldn't even need one for the buss.

I say "certain" because, once you commit something to audiosuite, it's practically permanent.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
If your machine is really getting bogged down, and you are certian that you love the settings on Guitar Rig, you could always save the setting as a preset, then highlight the tracks and audiosuite them. This way, you won't need the four instances of Guitar Rig anymore...heck, you wouldn't even need one for the buss.

I say "certain" because, once you commit something to audiosuite, it's practically permanent.
A good idea, that doesn't really have to be permanent. Just duplicate the original track and audiosuite the dupe. Right-click on the original and select Hide and Make Inactive) If you need to try again, the original track is waiting in the tracks bin. Guitar Rig, like all amp sim plugins, is a cpu hog, so committing(whether by audiosuite or recording to a new audio track) allows you to kill the plugin so its not taxing the system all the time. BTW, buses are certainly used for delay, reverb and doubling effects, but things like EQ, Compressors and De-Essers are usually inserted

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
A good idea, that doesn't really have to be permanent. Just duplicate the original track and audiosuite the dupe. Right-click on the original and select Hide and Make Inactive) If you need to try again, the original track is waiting in the tracks bin. Guitar Rig, like all amp sim plugins, is a cpu hog, so committing(whether by audiosuite or recording to a new audio track) allows you to kill the plugin so its not taxing the system all the time. BTW, buses are certainly used for delay, reverb and doubling effects, but things like EQ, Compressors and De-Essers are usually inserted
Would someone briefly explain what auidiosuite is? And how does it eliminate the plug-in. This is the first I've seen of this term. I'm obviously a Newbe to DAW's. I just got my system back in December 2010, and due to needing two major surgeries and family needs, I haven't been able to play with it too much. I've gotten OK at some basic laying down of tracks, but anything regarding the mix (effects, using busses, etc) I'm still pretty virgin. Would upping my RAM help me or is it a processor limitation?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM

"Audiosuite" is when you highlight selection, go to the menu, select audiosuite, go to "harmonic," pick Guitar Rig, hit "process." It basically commits the sound to your track.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM

Committing to Audiosuite is new for me as well.. Have never done. Great idea as I've got a few Amplitube settings named as presets that I use, but never thought about committing to Audiosuite.. jmitchell, when you says, "Audiosuite" is when you highlight selection", what are you highlighting, the track you got the plug on, or opening the plug itself? Sorry to be so dumb..
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM

The region of audio on the track. Sorry. Not at my rig right now, so I don't remember the actual layout.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
"Audiosuite" is when you highlight selection, go to the menu, select audiosuite, go to "harmonic," pick Guitar Rig, hit "process." It basically commits the sound to your track.
Does this mean you can still record on that track and change things and it only affects the actual plug-in sound or is this something you would do after you're happy with the track you laid down to "finalize" it?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 AM

After recording. Just make sure you're happy with the preset. To check, there's a "preview button" that will show you what the selected region will sound like afterwards.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks....this may be what I'm looking for. I'll try it out.