Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-23-2006, 12:41 AM

Default The L word..

I sold my mac some time ago. I was in desperate need of more CPU power and under no means could I affort to stay in the mac departement. Long story short: I bought a great pc (hardware) for the cash I got selling my overpriced powerbook.

Now i wonder: Will there be a driver set for linux in a near future? Windows isn't wery reliable. I've used windoes a lot more than mac. I know my way around win and have minimized software issues and optimized my system for audio. Still i experience the occational freeze up. it would be interesting to try linux. it (some of the versions) is said to be very reliable. It also is said to be a lot more hardware efficient then windows, but i guess you all know theese tings.

More and more people world wide are using Linux. Has anyone heard a rumor or something? Will there be a driverset for Linux?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:16 AM

Default Re: The L word..

Yeah, it would be nice if Digi had there own version of DigiLinux. Just a stripped down OS with PT and nothing more. And if it was written in assemlby that would be killer. Dual boot with Mac or PC and I'd be happy. We're dreamin' though.

But at the same time, XP on my Quad has been nothing but amazing. Super stable with zero problems. But it is nothing but XP and PT on the system. I have no other software installed except plug-ins. I have no issues with my XP system.

Quad on.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-23-2006, 03:44 AM

Some of the instabilities has IMO to do with third party plugins and the costs of upgrading them, so "yes!" - going Linux would change that, since their would be hardly any third party plugins at all and that´s pretty much what´s Pro Tools is all about - at least for me...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it would be nice if Digi had there own version of DigiLinux. Just a stripped down OS with PT and nothing more. And if it was written in assemlby that would be killer. Dual boot with Mac or PC and I'd be happy. We're dreamin' though.
Shane
This would indeed be the dream. Imagine a system with a Digi-specific OS - perfect!

But yes, the problem would be with third-party software support.

I think that if one Linux distro became the 'standard' and was recognised as a viable platform to develop on, then maybe software companies might begin to include it as supported, with each DAW having its own 'flavour' of the distro.

Aah, we can but dream.

Peace,

Sonny
x
Old 06-23-2006, 03:33 PM

Wouldn't this affect my hundreds (slight exaggeration) of wrapped VST's? I'm all about more speed and stability, but I might as well throw my machine away without those.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't this affect my hundreds (slight exaggeration) of wrapped VST's? I'm all about more speed and stability, but I might as well throw my machine away without those.
Interesting you brought this up and you are correct. I just had a talk with the NW Digi rep 20 minutes ago and told him about the DigiLinux 'dream'. He said the same thing about the 3rd party software apps like plug-ins etc. If it wasnt for that, in my opinion, they would probably have their own OS just for PT all setup and ready to go.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-24-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Interesting you brought this up and you are correct. I just had a talk with the NW Digi rep 20 minutes ago and told him about the DigiLinux 'dream'. He said the same thing about the 3rd party software apps like plug-ins etc. If it wasnt for that, in my opinion, they would probably have their own OS just for PT all setup and ready to go.

Shane
i think over time the digi only developers would get on board if there was any such system but it would take a lot to develop and basing any such system on linux is questionable but UNIX would be more likely.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 AM

Go back say 5 years in DUC-history and read the arguements why developers wasn't interrested in developing plugins for the PC-market (Altiverb has taken until know to get with the program...) and the same reasons will be valid to this discussion even more so.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix