Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Default How about mic blending?

If you are looking for a good simple guitar amp tone. Eleven clearly blows them all away. All the bells in whistles in the others are fun for wanking.. I'd rather have the guitar sound the way it supposed to sound.
The one thing that Guitar Rig has over Eleven is the two mic thing. This is the key for getting good guitar tone with a real amp is to blend two mics.
Overall I'm very happy with the performance of Eleven, but if I could blend a Coles 4038 and a Neumann KM84 that would send it over the top.
I plan on selling my GR system the day they start shipping Eleven.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: How about mic blending?

What about using 2 sessions of Eleven or 2 tracks and having a different mic on each one? Probably not what your asking for but would this give you the desired result? Just curious.

I have a question: I'm trying out the demo and for the first time I'm 98% certain I want to go with a modeling solution to increase my productivity. I've been looking at Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube 2 and Eleven.

I see you've been using Guitar Rig..... you feel Eleven uis much better?

I know I'm very impressed so far.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Well, I am not able to get GR to work well at all. Either the buffer is so huge that the latency is a problem or it makes clicks and pops while I'm trying to play. I do like the sound of GR. But I think anything I can do to so my processing on the Digi cards's (TDM) rather than CPU (RTAS) is a good thing. And Frankly Eleven sounds more like the way my amps sound.

Aaron
Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Well, I am not able to get GR to work well at all. Either the buffer is so huge that the latency is a problem or it makes clicks and pops while I'm trying to play. I do like the sound of GR. But I think anything I can do to so my processing on the Digi cards's (TDM) rather than CPU (RTAS) is a good thing. And Frankly Eleven sounds more like the way my amps sound.

Aaron
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Avid

15Years, I'm really glad to hear you're getting good results with Eleven. To answer your question, we definitely considered adding a mic blending feature, but it didn't make it into v1.0. I'm hoping, although certainly not promising, we will add that feature in a future release.

The Eleven manual describes a number of options for multi-cab and multi-amp setups, which might work for you. As JCWarrior mentioned you can setup a session with 2 Elevens and blend them. That has the obvious advatage of being able blend different amps as well as cabs. I think I've gotten some pretty good sounds by blending 2 Elevens using the same amp but at somewhat different settings and the cab with different mics or axis position.

Another option is to feed one instance of Eleven with the cab disabled into 2 instances of Eleven both with the amps disabled. In TDM this will of course use one additional DSP than the previous scenario, but with RTAS if the amp or cab is disabled no CPU is consumed for that part of the algorithm. In other words, in RTAS this 3 Eleven setup uses only a little bit more CPU than one instance with both the amp and cab enabled.

I hope that helps.

Quote:
If you are looking for a good simple guitar amp tone. Eleven clearly blows them all away. All the bells in whistles in the others are fun for wanking.. I'd rather have the guitar sound the way it supposed to sound.
The one thing that Guitar Rig has over Eleven is the two mic thing. This is the key for getting good guitar tone with a real amp is to blend two mics.
Overall I'm very happy with the performance of Eleven, but if I could blend a Coles 4038 and a Neumann KM84 that would send it over the top.
I plan on selling my GR system the day they start shipping Eleven.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 AM

Very smart and cool.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 AM

I did knock around the idea you set out here. And yeah.. that's not a bad option. It was alittle annoying jumping back and forth between the plugins while tweaking the sound. But It's not exactly the same as one amp.. driving one cab with two mics. There is something that happens in the phase relationship... a thickness or widening of the sound. I'm glad you guys are thinking about it!
Anyway a big salute for putting a ribbon mic in there too. That's how electric guitars are supposed to be recorded. I've always hated the 57 on guitars.

BTW.. Please let me buy the full version! The demo clocked out today and I am switching back to amp farm as we speak.. I hope my clients don't notice!! They probably wont! (advertisng people, they wouldn't know good tone if smacked them in the face!).
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Avid

The only difference between this and the "real world" is that you can move the mics closer or farther away from the cab which will change the phase relationship between the mics. The setup I have described is basically where the mics are at roughly the same distance from the cab. But you can model this by popping in a time adjuster, and changing the phase relationship that way. Nonetheless, I think many people that use this plugin will just get in the weeds and they'll end up with a more phasey undesireable sound. If we add a blend control to the plug-in there still won't be a way adjust the phase relationship between the mics, unless we also add a "delay" control.

And don't worry, you'll be able to buy the full release version very soon...

Quote:
I did knock around the idea you set out here. And yeah.. that's not a bad option. It was alittle annoying jumping back and forth between the plugins while tweaking the sound. But It's not exactly the same as one amp.. driving one cab with two mics. There is something that happens in the phase relationship... a thickness or widening of the sound. I'm glad you guys are thinking about it!
Anyway a big salute for putting a ribbon mic in there too. That's how electric guitars are supposed to be recorded. I've always hated the 57 on guitars.

BTW.. Please let me buy the full version! The demo clocked out today and I am switching back to amp farm as we speak.. I hope my clients don't notice!! They probably wont! (advertisng people, they wouldn't know good tone if smacked them in the face!).
Old 11-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Avid

Just a quick note to let you all know that Eleven is now available for purchase on the Digidesign web site...thanks everyone!

TDM: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...09&itemid=5422

LE: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...14&itemid=5423

The Chimp
Test Lead, Guitar Products
Digidesign
P&S Creative Professional
AVID