Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 AM

Default mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with PT?

First, the multicore issue.. Steinberg claim all software is more or less affected, but i'd rather hear from an actual pro tools user, who uses windows 10, who uses more than 12 logical cores. So more than a 6 core hyperthread processor.

My plan this year is 100% to upgrade from vanilla by the time my sub is due, no later. I am already ferociously saving every cent I can for this.

I decided in this case, windows is the answer, so I can build a completely silent tower desktop that I can have under the desk in the same room.. I've pretty much put the whole system together, except, i can't decide whether an 8700K (6 core 3.7ghz, socket 1151) or 7820X (hexa core 3.6ghz beast, 16 threads), or if i decide to really splurge, and the multi core issue does not affect PT, i will just get the 10 core 3.3ghz MONSTER! the 7900X. Imagine the jump from my quad core 2011 imac.. woot!
I'll be configuring 64gb ram so i can permanently dedicate 16 GB to disk cache, which will hold any project's audio files i have entirely in ram, and have plenty left over for samplers so i can go a bit crazy.

Basically, if Avid or anyone can confirm if this affects PT or not, i'll target the 10 core.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117319
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...ore-CPU-setups

Obviously it is not possible for me to put together a system with parts from various vendors, then test PT, and if it doesn't work, return it LOL..
So i'd really appreciate help from those who have working systems and use pro tools with windows 10 right now.. surely there must be plenty of Win 10 PT users here :) Well i hope so!

The other thing is, motherboard compatibility.

I'll be getting a large quiet case and if i go HDX, i will likely get second hand cards for a third of the price of a new one, with already expired warranty that i can muck about with the fans on. I'll be using noctua's flagship cpu cooler, and have all noctua fans for intake and exhaust with a 6 channel fan controller.. and i will NOT overclock at all ,In fact i'll disable turbo and all c states, and just leave the processor running at it's default frequency at all times.

so, x299 chipsets boards that work, and z370's if i have to get the hex core?

basically it boils down to this.. if i can get reliable info that pro tools works properly in windows TEN with more than 14 logical cores, I'm going to get the 8 or 10 core. If it doesn't, i'll get the 8700 K.

Cheers and thanks very much for hearing me out!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM

Default mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with PT?

I just upgraded to HDX

Running the system in my sig...only 6 logical

Win10PRO- v1709
No issues running PT12.5.1 and an icon desk

All good.....I just got it this week and i haven’t pushed the limits of the card but it’s been error free

I did find something recently that was causing problems with my D-Command. When starting PT it would crash while "lnitializing Controllers" the first time....it would go through the second time.

I deselected the iPV6 protocol on my NIC and the problem doesn't happen any more......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 01-14-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:07 AM

Default Re: mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with

Ok so the 6 core is definitely ok...

Thanks for the answer...

I can only test it on a win 7, 4 core laptop here, that i have had since 2012.

It works great on that but i need much much more (and my uad's, so i will need a motherboard with thunderbolt 3 as well, to take my 3 satellites).

I believe your motherboard is a 2011 socket and x99 chip but i guess the new 2066 mobos are evolutions of that chipset.

So it should work.

Still would love to hear from anyone with more than 12 threads cpu.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Hey I’m selling this you might be interested

I’ll make you a deal!!

Magma 3T Express Box - Excellent Shape
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Yes I went with the X99 b/c it was proven, the X299 were out but if you drop $1500 on a computer, you want to make sure it works...without issue.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Default Re: mobo's with perfect HD/HDX compatibility? Win10 cubase multicore issue also with

Another HDX on a six core here. And all is well.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM

I run HDX on an 8 core and a 12 core. No issues with either computer.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 PM

We run two Trashcans. One with 12core which is 24 core virtual and one 6core which is 12 and no issues whatso ever. HDX2 on the 12C and HDX1 on the 6C.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We run two Trashcans. One with 12core which is 24 core virtual and one 6core which is 12 and no issues whatso ever. HDX2 on the 12C and HDX1 on the 6C.
Thanks very much, but this issue is only with windows 10.. not mac, or win 8 or 7...

Steinberg explain it well.. windows 10 pro allows a maximum of 32 logical threads per running app but holds 4 over for system stuff.. so that's 28...

However, Cubase uses 2 threads per process so to speak so it's doubled.. which is why steinberg have a fix so that anyone with over 14 logical cores will use the fix and tell cubase not to use more than 14 (which in steinberg's case is using the maximum 28).

All explained at the links I sent in first post.

Unfortunately, Steinberg claim other software is affected as it's a windows 10 thing, not a cubase thing, which is why i have made this topic.

Windows 10 is actually a step backwards in many ways for DAW users, and i am very surprised avid dropped even win 8 support as of 12.8.4 and up.

Win 10 has higher DPC latency and a limit on cores per app.

Basically, to buy a more than 7 core (14 threads/ logical cores ) processor for nuendo or cubase on windows 10 and windows 10 alone, is a complete waste of money. Because 7 core 14 thread processors don't exist, 6 is the one that most people get. Those using 8 cores 16 threads are actually disabling 2 of the logical cores to make it 14.

Ok, to put it directly copied from steinberg
" Cubase is the "process", windows reserves 4 MMCSS threads, leaving 28, Cubase schedules two MMCSS threads per CPU core (real or logical), 28 divided by 2 is..."

so, the question is, does pro tools on windows schedule two mmcss threads per cpu core.. if so.. then it would likely have the spiking issue with 8 core and above cpus unless hyperthreading is disabled.

Hope that makes sense. Cheers
Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I run HDX on an 8 core and a 12 core. No issues with either computer.
Hi, is this with windows 10?

If so, good news.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Another HDX on a six core here. And all is well.
Hi Tom, I missed this one. what MOBO do you use?

Have you hear of good or bad results with x299?

It's unfortunate, it's VERY hard to find old boards in OZ...

Originally i was looking at an 8700K as i know it will just work, and i was trying to find a z170 or 270 board that has a prepared thunderbolt port, as that's all UAD guarantee functionality with on windows, they do not do so with AIC's. Not one board in all of australia of either chipset with TB3.. I searched every aussie on line tech store for *hours*. All i can find is one 370 board that has one thunderbolt port, a gigabyte board, but it's a $600 motherboard with a bunch of features i will simply disable.

The board i wanted was under 300 and perfect and i can't find one anywhere.

And that had TWO thunderbolt ports on it as well. Sigh.

there's also an asrock board that has 2 thunderbolt ports built on, and i can't find one anywhere, and it's been confirmed to work perfectly with UAD thunderbolt...

I wish avid were a bit more direct with what motherboard chipsets will work.

do you think it's worth me using my monthly support call to contact them, and tell them the exact model of board and ram, as well as the win 10 logical core limitation per process (app), or would i be wasting time expecting help with a specific motherboard question?

Look what i REALLY want is the 10 core 3.3ghz
64gb ram

it will outperform the imac 3 ghz 10 core, because it will not throttle and have adequate cooling as well as having a bit more raw power anyway.

Difference is, in AUD, to make a desktop PC with the 10 core 7900X, 64GB ram, a thunderbolt 3 299 mobo, FOUR 1TB ssd's (2 of them M2 very fast samsung, 2 sata), one 2TB 7200 RPM WD black, a 2560*1600 30" dell monitor, and even a blu ray burner (asus).. it was 6500 bucks assembled and shipped with warranty. It saves me putting it all together. All noctua fans, antec case, antex gold PSU.

To get a 10 core imac, with 64gb ram, and just a 2TB drive ( i believe it's 2x1TB ssd in raid 0 from factory)

is, drumroll:

$11, 139

The difference is mammoth.. i can buy a roadworthy used car with the price difference!

PLUS, the fact that i can disable ALL throttling in windows, disable turbo boost, and i will settle for a tiny overclock of say 3.5ghz.. so 10 cores, 20 threads at 3.5ghz permanently. No fluctuation.

I would then get a second hand HD native card and go on the HD software sub for a year..

i'd save another year, and then upgrade to HDX. *hyper excited*.

My main worry is the 10 core with windows 10 because of steinbergs findings.

See, you use HDX, which does the audio mixer processing on the card as well as many other functions.. so it might just be that this processor spike issue in win 10 with large multicore setups, only affects native.

or maybe it simply doesn't affect PT at all.

I know it affects VE pro and Cubase so far, and if i find that the other DAWs do it, then i'll hazard a guess that PT does too...

Does HDX go crazy with cpu usage when using an ultra low buffer to monitor, like core audio does?

Cheers! Thanks again so much, all your inputs are so valuable to me, as this is the single largest investment I will ever make or ever HAVE made as a single home studio user. I have to get it right the first time, i can't afford not to. :)