Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Default Upgrade to PT9, worth it?

Hi,

Im running LE 8.0.5, beyond having broken my computer by trying to get PT to work, spending the last 3 months just getting PT to work to no avail. and spending alot of money on hard drives etc, to try and comply to Avids long list of demands, all that said and done I have enjoyed the 10 hours or so in the last 8 months when it has worked.

Given time to use PT9 what are your thourghts on it so far? is it worth crossgrading to now? or perhaps better to sit on it for another few months untill the current niggles get sorted?

opinions please :)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Upgrade to PT9, worth it?

Well, PT9 is well worth it to me, but I suspect that, if your system has problems, PT9 will not solve them. Posting a Sandra report is step #1 in solving problems, so start with a read of this thread: Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Well, PT9 is well worth it to me, but I suspect that, if your system has problems, PT9 will not solve them. Posting a Sandra report is step #1 in solving problems, so start with a read of this thread: Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
^^Cosign.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Yeah I have done all that on the windows LE forum, but my problems have moved from being ProTools related to general computer/os related, theres no point worring about PT when when your computer can no longer start up, it was just a little side rant from the topic tbh.

What aspects of 9 have effected you most? As far as changes go, I havn't really read of much else other then ADC, increased track allowance and other interface support, since I use Avid HW doesn't really effect me.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 PM

For me it has been more stable overall(but still not perfect). Of course, that doesn't mean the minor glitches I have are not user-caused. ADC is a huge asset that I don't want to give up. More tracks is always handy. I like that I was able to load it on my laptop and use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro too(my 003 is not exactly portable). The way you can now add bus and sends makes for faster operation on that front(and I will not run out of buses....EVER). The ability to enter compensation time for hardware inserts is a blessing for anyone wishing to use hardware inserts.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post
Hi,

Im running LE 8.0.5, beyond having broken my computer by trying to get PT to work, spending the last 3 months just getting PT to work to no avail. and spending alot of money on hard drives etc, to try and comply to Avids long list of demands, all that said and done I have enjoyed the 10 hours or so in the last 8 months when it has worked.

Given time to use PT9 what are your thourghts on it so far? is it worth crossgrading to now? or perhaps better to sit on it for another few months untill the current niggles get sorted?

opinions please :)
For me it's been perfect. I have no complaints at all - well, except for this thread I opened. It's been rock solid to me using Eleven Rack on Windows 7 64 bit.

As for the value of it, it's totally worth it. If you have a Digidesign interface you can probably upgrade at a very decent price. One of the things I could not give up now, is ADC (Automatic Delay Compensation), which compensates for the delay caused by plugins. This may sound simple, but you can find a world of difference when you don't have cancelled frequencies or phase issues because of that small delay. The mix simply sounds different.

If you get tired of looking for the right hardware, just visit this other thread and build a Core i7 based on any of the most succesful builds of that list. PT9 will run just fine on it.

Francisco
Old 06-11-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post
I havn't really read of much else other then ADC, increased track allowance and other interface support
That's more than enough to make it a no brainer for me.