Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 AM

Default your thoughts on Ableton Live!

I just bought it this weekend and so far quite impressed with it's stability and ease of use, not to mention a beautiful interface. I have yet to record external sources into it, I think I'll be downloading the 001 ASIO driver in order to do that. A few minor nags get in the workfiow but overall, this handy app packs a lot of bang for only being at version 2.

Anyone out there using it with the 001's driver?
Anyone care to share their likes and dislikes about Live?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:46 AM

Default Re: your thoughts on Ableton Live!

Is it just my imagination or was there not a Mac Digi 001 ASIO driver on the Steinberg website? I just checked and only found an 'OMS' driver. I checked the Digi downloads and only found the Windows version. I need to get more sleep, ASIO drivers are passing me by and it's freakin' me out. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 03:09 PM

The ASIO driver is there - it's just a little on the latent side....... about 45mS through delay. Makes monitoring through LIVE impossible. Sometimes LIVE fails to recognise the ASIO driver (the CPU usage indicator registers 0% when you launch it), but you just deselect and then reselect it in audio preferences and all is well.

Have you downloaded 2.0.3 yet? Much improved but still not as robust as PT or REASON (try pressing apple-Z while recording....)

All in all, a great tool - fast becoming my main writing software. Just save your work regularly..........
Old 03-18-2003, 03:20 PM

I use LIVE to construct my drum tracks from loops when not using real drums and really like it. Just upgraded to 2 (on OSX) last week and haven't played with it much yet-- seems like they added some great features though.

Now, if only DIGI would add ReWire support to PT6-- what a world this would be... some day.
---
c
Old 03-18-2003, 04:43 PM

Hi.

The driver is there. Use the search function and type <Digi001> or something.

I used to run Live 2.0 on my Power Mac G4, OS9, the Digi001, via the ASIO driver. Live worked great, and I made a song and many loops.
But, I didn't use it as a recorder unlike PT.
You can't change the buffer size. It's 512.
Output Latency is 34ms, Input is 11ms...
I hooked up Reason 2 to Live via Rewire, but too much latency. I gave up using Live as a recorder.

Now, I use Live on my G3 800 iBook, OSX 1.2, EMI2/6.
I can change the buffer size from 14 to 2048. '
Finally, it can be a recorder!

I'm sorry to say this, but it'd be difficult for you to record directly into Live with your Digi001 if you use OS9..
Old 03-18-2003, 05:33 PM

I finally got the driver and installation went well. One thing that surprised me is that all the 001's I/O show up in Live. Maybe that's normal, but when I was on PC, you could only use the 001's 1 and 2 inputs when using other software.

Well anyways, I did record a few passages from my MS2000 directly into Live and the result was rather impressive. Maybe it's just me, but no audible latency as far as I can tell.
I do use an external mixer and don't monitor though the software.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the things you don't like about Live?

For example, for me, I find navigating and quantizing in the arrange view a bit cumbersome. Too many different locations to change quantize settings, and you can't seem to set new loop points unless the present one is in view (well you can, but if you just want to change the left locator and it happens to be hidden, you have to zoom out, then grab it and pull it in or stretch it out).

Also, can you select all the clips in one track for a global edit? I'm reading the manual, which is extremely basic and seems to omit certain things you learn by just messing around with the program.

Oh well, nag, nag, nag..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It's still a great program. I'll check to see what version I'm using, thanks for that tip.