Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM

Default Avid I/O Questions...

This is not really Mac specific, but I couldn't find any better place for it...

The documentation for the I/O states very specifically that it offers a maximum of 16 inputs and outputs.

So, consider an I/O 16 x 16...

It has two 8-input A/D cards and two 8-output D/A cards. But it also has a full set of digital inputs and outputs, including 8-channel ADAT, on the enclosure itself.

So, does installing the four cards somehow disable the enclosures digital I/O connectors?

Or can you choose between 16 analog inputs/outputs or 8 analog inputs/outputs and 8 digital inputs/outputs?

If so, how do you make this selection? I couldn't find anything in the I/O manual discussing this...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Avid I/O Questions...

I don't own the unit, but I'm pretty sure that you can use any combination of the analog or digital I/O, as long as it doesn't go above 16 in or out. However, the 2 channel spidf and AES is one or the other, not both. So, for example, you could have 10 channels analog out, 2 channels spidf or AES, and 4 channels of Adat, etc.

As to how this is set up, maybe someone else could jump in here.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM

should also be able to mirror outputs
say analog 1-8 with the ADAT on the card and or the frame

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 AM

you can use both at same time,8 adat and 8 analog ,or any other combination that does not exceeds 16.jz
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Can you run your Avid I/O into a Core Accel card and your old Digi 192 I/O into your second Accel card for 32 I/O?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 AM

It should be exactly like it used to be with the 192 I/O, except that on the 192 you could NOT remove the digital I/O card (AES/TDIF/ADAT) in the 4. slot, since it also contained the clocking for the interface.

On the new HD I/O you can finally do that: e.g. the 16 analog I/O config. Other configurations could be like those possible with the 192 - e.g. 3 analog cards plus one digital card, 2 analog cards and two digital cards - you'll just get a max. of 16 I/O at the same time.

You should also be able to daisy-chain a HD I/O to a 192 for 16 channels i/o from the 192 and another 16 channels of I/O from the HD I/O connected to a single core/accel card. The HD I/O comes with a 30cm adapter from the "old" interface connector to the new type of connector that's also found on the HD|Native card.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 PM

To partially answer my own question, here is from the Avid HD IO Guide:

"DigiLink Mini and DigiLink Cables
Use DigiLink cables with a DigiLink to DigiLink Mini adapter cable to connect HD I/O to a Pro Tools|HD card, as well as to legacy Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces (such as 192 I/O).

The DigiLink to DigiLink Mini adapter cables let you connect your HD I/O to Pro Tools|HD cards in your computer (Pro Tools|HD cards include a 12’ DigiLink cable for connecting Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces). They also let you connect leg- acy Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces (such as the 192 I/O or the 96 I/O) to the expansion port of HD I/O (legacy Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces include an 18” DigiLink cable)."

But if your new Avid HD I/O interface is connected to your Accel Core Card, could you alternatively connect the legacy Digidesign 192 interface to your Accel card #2? If so, is this more or less desirable than connecting the legacy Digidesign 192 interface to the expansion port of your Avid HD I/O interface?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:03 PM

I have an HD IO 16x16 analog and a 192 (8 analog in, 16 analog out). I connect the HD IO to the Accel core and the 192 to the Accel #2 card, and the HD IO loop sync out to the 192 loop sync in. This works well.

Alternatively, you can connect the HD IO expansion port to the 192 primary port, but you will need a second mini adapter - the HD IO only ships with one adapter.

The primary HD IO port sends and receives 32 channels to/from the HD cards. Channels 17-32 are passed through to the expansion port.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 AM

Please, guys...

I'm trying to learn something specific here, and I still haven't gotten an answer that totally addresses my question.

Would you mind starting another thread for the off-topic stuff?

Thanks!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 AM

Based on pages 19-21 of the manual, it appears that you should be able to do what you're wanting to do.

But you might get a quicker answer if you talk to your dealer, or at least a dealer that is trained in this stuff (as in, not Guitar Center).